Treating with grapefruit seed extract?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryehard

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone ever heard of using grapefruit seed extract to treat illnesses in fish? I know it's a fantastic anti bacterial/fungal/viral agent that can be used to treat humans and other pets, but I wonder if anyone has ever used it to treat fish and if it's safe.

Yeah I was actually just reading about that... never even though of it. You could get dozens of garlic cloves for less than an ounce of grapefruit seed extract. Just curious cause I happen to have some...

has anyone ever actually used the crushed garlic? Ive heard this before as well but does it really work? And what can it be used for? Sorry to hijack.. but sicne yall were on teh subject... thought id ask.

I now put garlic into my frozen mix, which at the moment, is made up of pollack, shrimp, spinach, squash, peas. The fish and shrimp make up the majority, but I put in 4 or 5 cloves into the last batch ( it was the first batch also, as the fridge died and the fish had defrosted). I don't think I would be adding crushed garlic to the tank water, though.

Usually garlic is used to soak the food before feeding it to the fish. I've heard it recomended for a wide variety of ailments, as it perks up the appetite, keeping the fish strong during it's healing period, as well as boosting the immune system. I personally did not have luck with it the one time I tried. My poor dwarf gourami was so far gone that she wouldn't even take live foods.

This set of fish I inherited has so many health problems, I'm constantly dealing with something. I'll have to remember to try this next time.

I'm a fish newbie, but a true believer in using GFS for several human things.
I'm not sure if I'd use it on fish, even diluted, it might burn their eyes.
I'm just guessing and if you find someone that uses it on fish, please let us know. It is a great thought....thats for sure.

Yeah I just started using it a month ago, because I usually end up getting sick a few times every year and so far I've survived my entire family getting the flu without ever feeling sick whatsoever. Not sure if it was the GFS or if my immune system is just getting better...

If you're the sort to scientifically experiment, you could buy some healthy feeder fish and check for reactions to GFS. Is the GFS acidic? Might want to make sure citric acid won't mess up the tank pH before introducing it to live animals. Definately try it on healthy fish first, who can recover from adverse reactions, rather than a sick fish that can't take another shock.

I could try it on some zebra danios. I couldn't kill mine if I tried... you're right though I'll test and see if it affects ph.

However the concentrated extract is extremely strong, must always be diluted in water or juice, and never used in the eyes.

This is what I found on a web site. I guess if you could remove your fish quickly and give him a rub down with the stuff then it would probably work. :lol:
Putting drops in the water would probably not be a good thing if they are advising not to use in eyes.

Back
Top Bottom