Two guppies are dead!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalmen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I got home fro
Work I noticed that one of my 2 orange coloured guppies was twitching, swimming sideways or resting on the floor. Another of the guppies (different colour) was biting it. The other orange one was looking fine and healthy. I took the sick one (or maybe it was attacked by another fish?) and put it in a net isolated from the rest to prevent it from being bitten to death. Then I went to watch TV for about one hour and came back to check on my sick guppy. To my surprise, the healthy orange guppy was dead and being nibbled by one of my shrimp. No clue what happened in a single hour. The sick one that I had in the net didn't get any better in three days and seemed to get weaker and didn't even try to eat the food I gave it and only lied there on its side. So today I euthanised it. Any idea of what could have happened? All other fish look healthy and happy.

my tank is perfect i have tested it on two diff test kits.. but i dont know about the op's my tank is a 55 and i have guppise palties and one molly left

Mumma.of.two said:
What size tank?
What other fish?
Most importantly, what's your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

It's a 29 gallon tank and I have the following "other" fish:
7 guppies
19 mollies (3 males, 6 females, 10 fry of which 6 are still in isolation)
6 Gauramis (2 blue, 2 orange, 2 emperor)
4 Sterba's Cory
1 Yoyo (Pakistani) Loach
1 Suckermouth Pleco
6 Shrimp
3 Assassin snails

I will post a few pictures for you to see.

The water parameters were good:
Ammonia: 0
pH: 7.2
Nitrate: <10
Nitrite: <0.3

Last edited:
My aquarium

This is my aquarium. Looks very healthy except for the two dead guppies last week.

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    IMG_0634.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 77
A couple if things stand out but probably didn't contribute too much to the guppy's death. Your tanks is pretty over stocked. For all those fish IMO you'd need at least a 55g. What are you using to test? NitrIte should be 0. How long have you had the guppies?

I used the Interpet testing kit but today I got it tested again with a JBL test kit and the Nitrite was 0.05. I just got a new 300 litre external filter simce last week and I'm running in parallel with the internal filter (Interpet PF3). I'm assuming that's why the Nitrites are not zero.

I had the guppies for 3 or 4 months now. All others look healthy.

Back
Top Bottom