UGH will it never end? Momma molly attacked and wounded!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stew

Aquarium Advice Regular
For those that have been following my plight you will know this new tank has been a challenge for me, for those that dont let me summerize:

New tank, still cycling (29gal)
2 molleys one definetly female, the other I belive to be male now
Case of ick in small male molly treating the whole tank He also has a white cyst or somthing on his side but it seems to be healing.
Momma molley just had quintuplets

Now that shes had her babies the 2 molley are fighting a lot and today I noticed the larger female has a red wound behind her pectoral fin and she doesnt have full use of it (its sticking straight out). Shes been hiding a lot also which is unusual for her.

I'm asuming the very small male attacked her or she might have got stuck somewhere and hurt herself I guess but she is chasing off the small male at every opportunity.

Is he after her now that she isnt pregnant anymore?

Can I do anything about this?

And do I need to do anything to treat this wound?

The problems don;t seem to stop in this little tank!

Hey, Stew!
Sorry to here about your troubles. I would try to get another female molly or 2. I know that you have the babies and that the tank is still cycling, but the headaches that happen from adding more fish (frequent waterchanges, ammonia and nitrite spikes, etc...) might be worth it to get some of the stress off your female molly. It's gonna take a little while for the babies to grow up to be in the main tank to solve the stress prob for mom, so I think that this would be the best chance to help her out.

As far as the medication for the wound. I really have been lucky enough not to have any problems like this, but I know that there is a medication for this kind of stuff and it starts with a "M" but the name slips my mind. Sorry I couldn't help you here.

Jim

Stew, wow that is harsh.

I have read in several places that the ideal ratio is 3 females/1 male for livebearers--less than that and the females can get so stressed out by the males chasing them constantly that they can actually (gulp) die. I have 2 fem/1 male ratio right now for my black mollies, and I am going to get another female simply because the male, who is now almost twice the size of the females, will not leave them alone, even the pregnant one! He also has started to chase them off when the food comes, esp the bloodworms, so he can get first dibs. Looks like I have a real pig of a male molly :(

Good luck with treating your injured fishy. I have zero experience with that so far. But I'm sure you'll get more help from others here, the experts.

Heh, platylover is talking about Melafix. Tis a mild antibacterial made from teatree oil. Works nicely for mild wounds and finrot. You may want to try it (most lfs carry it). Do know, if the wound starts to look worse or infected, you'll need a stronger antibiotic.

Also, I'd pull her out of the tank for now. Both so she is out of "danger" as well as if you need to treat with something stronger, it won't mess up your cycle. Melafix won't bother it tho; doesn't affect the cycle.

Ok I think I saw some of that tea tree stuff at wallmart...

Should I add it right away or see if the would will heal by itself?

I guess I need another QT because the fry are in the one I have now

I never though having fish would be this complex!

LOL Its an education in vet medicine as well as chemistry ;)

I'd get it and use it. It won't hurt and it may help. I suggest getting the smaller bottle. If you decide you like it and it works for you, the next time you need to buy get the Pond version. Its more concentrated (5% rather then 1%); diluting a little and using it when you need it will save $$ in the long run.

Oh geez.... the little male<?> molly is sick or dying now... hes having sizures on the gravel floor now his tails all curved and hes shimmying. Its so weird cuz he was his nomal self all day today.

It looks like he might not make it thru the night :(

Maybe fish can smell paranoia and he was messing with me.. seems his normal self today... had me really worried there.

2 days later the little guy seems fine.. goofy fish!

All signs of ICK are now gone, the cyst on the small molly is almost gone and his fin is starting to open back up on that side. The momma molly is hiding a lot but her would seems to be healing.

Hopefully that the last of it for a while (knock on wood)! I initially set up the tank as a stress reducer... I thing my blood presure has doubled over this last week just worrying about the fish.

I think i've turned into a fanatic 8O

Yeah!! I'm glad things seem to be beginning to work out for ya stew!! I know you put alot of work into it.

:mrgreen:

Thanks Crow :)

I guess the little molly is a girl after all... she just has a little fry of her own! My tank has become a nursury! Maybe that is why she was writhing around?

Congrats on another little fry, Stew! :D

The actions that the little molly has been doing very well could have been the birthing "dance".

Congrats again!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom