Unhealthy Harlequin Rasboras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim Kipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought 6 Harlequin Rasbora two weeks ago and all have looked very well.

Treated tank with Primafix and Melafix when added the fish, just in case.

One of them developed a clearly white, clamped side fin. Clearly fungus of some sort. Have been treating with Primafix and Melafix again for last three days but now the fish has both side fins the same and one other Harlequin has one fin. So getting worse despite the treaments.

I am going to add some aquarium salt to the tank (I don't do this as often as I should, but then I have 4 Coydoras that I understand don't like salt.

I have some eSHa 2000 in stock. Though I might try that.

Question: I also have 4 Amarno Shrimp. Are these sensitive to such meds ?

Have looked on their website but cannot see an answer.

Thanks in advance.

You would be better off to move the sick fish out of the tank and treat it.

I am going to add some aquarium salt to the tank (I don't do this as often as I should, but then I have 4 Coydoras that I understand don't like salt.

No need to bother with the Aquarium Salt, IMHO. It's not needed.
I have some eSHa 2000 in stock. Though I might try that.

No idea what that is, sorry. 8)
Question: I also have 4 Amarno Shrimp. Are these sensitive to such meds ?

I would take the fish out, and treat in a seperate tank. Invertebrates such as shrimp are sensitive to medications, but they may not be killed by it, however. It's still best to treat in a seperate tank.

Grab a broad spectrum antibiotic, such as Maracyn 1 or 2. Melafix and Pimafix are good, but sometimes you need something stronger. Also, make sure you keep up on partial water changes. Good water quality is a must when treating infections like these.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom