unsteady corydoras 5 years old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquajoy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
My Cory (Nemo) appears to be unsteady, he caught inthe air bubbles and when he swam away flipped over. He eventually got to the bottom and sat there but seems to move and lay to one side.

He has a light mark on his side, the ph is 7.2, Nitrite 0 , Amonia .25 and nitrate 0

Roger

Welcome to AA!

How long has the tank been established, and how did you cycle it? ALso, what test kit are you using to determine your parameters? I'm a bit concerned about your ammonia level. If you're using an inaccurate test kit, they may be much higher and affecting your fish.

Hi

thanks for the quick reply

The test kit is made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals inc and is 6 -7 months old. The tank has been established 3 years 2 months and I change 1/3 water per week, its an Rena 120x50 tank with the Rena filter that cycles 1200 liters and an Ttetratec 1200 filter that does the same.

I have added 2 caps of Melafix and 1 of Pimafix as its a natural product

Interesting how you have a touch of ammonia and no nitrates. The ammonia is probably 0. I find kits often register a touch of ammonia even when none exists. Is the tank planted? I would redo the nitrate test that is a tricky test.

The catfish sounds like it has a swim bladder problem. If he is the 5 years old you say he is he just may be getting old. That is a long life for a cory. I think your treatment option is a good place to start. Be sure to remove any carbon from the filter.

I agree it may be a swim bladder problem. You can also try feeding some frozen peas, nuke them for a few seconds, remove the skins and cut into bite size portions.

Hi All

Thanks for the replies and your help, The cory seems to be getting a bit steadier but still has the occasional problem. He seems to have an injury on the top of the body so maybe been attack

I will keep you all posted as to his progress

Roger:lol:

Hi Every one

Sorry to say Nemo died overnight, he must have had an infection as he had a red patch on his belly. Thanks for all the help you have given me

Roger

Back
Top Bottom