Upside down floating Goldie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im posting this here as well as the General Discussion-

So my absolute fav fish is sick. I posted something about this not to long ago but now he is getting worse. My fancy calico goldy had swim bladder when I bought him so im used to him swimming upside down. Now, he positions himself between the undergravel filter tube and the wall.. or he will position himself in the middle of the plants... so he just floats there... upside down, not moving much because whatever he is squished between is holding him up. He comes out to eat and swims normally for just a little bit.

I did a water test and my Ammonia is fine, however I can't get my pH up for the life of me (ive been treating it for some time now w/ stuff the pet store gave me that has always worked).
My other fish are doing just fine.
I gravel vac'ed, I did a water change, I replaced my filter not too terribly long ago.. im not sure what to do now to make him better.

Any suggestions?

How's the nitrite levels? And nitrates? Those need to be checked as well. I'm assuming when you say ammonia is fine you mean it reads zero.

Why do you need to up the pH and what are you using? Whats the water hardness (one needs to know this before attempting to change pH levels)?

And I suspect there may be too much swim bladder damage at this point to "fix" it.

his swim bladder has never been a problem. But now, he just floats and it happens to be upside down. heh

Im not sure what the water hardness is. My pH in this tank is normally about 6.8-ish but now all of a sudden its low. Im using pH 7.0 Seachem "Neutral Regulator"

I don't know what the nitrates and nitrites are.. ill get a kit for that tomorrow

I've known a fancy goldfish that lived for years that way. Just floating and tumbling around upside down the whole time. It looked awful, but he didn't seem to be in much distress as far as anyone could tell.
good luck,
-Mark

Im wondering now if that is just what he is doing when he sleeps. so its easier for him to stay still. He seems okay other then the purposly wedging inbetween stuff.

Back
Top Bottom