*Urgent help* Columnaris.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right well i have an outbreak with my month old cichlids. I need the best meds possible and Fast!! Im in the UK and laws here are {mod edit} i need to import some meds, whether they get here in time i dont know but ive got to try. Name all meds that will slap it in the face. Currently treating with salt and myxazin and hopefully it will hold it off until they arrive. Please help my fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far ive ordered karaplex and now im looking at furan 2. Also maracyn and maracyn 2?!

Right well furan 2 and kanaplex ordered. Argggghh my fish:( paid a stupid amount for these meds.

Anyone know any suggestions to keep it at bay while they arrive?

Im lowering the temperature tomorrow!!

Last edited:
Right well furan 2 and kanaplex ordered. Argggghh my fish:( paid a stupid amount for these meds. Anyone know any suggestions to keep it at bay while they arrive? Im lowering the temperature tomorrow!!
don't bother lowering the temp. It has to get below 60°f to be affective. Kanaplex is the best stuff I know of. Good luck!

People might not agree with me, but if you want to save your fish, you need to fix their water ...Personally, I've dealt with columnaris before, i was using maracyn 2, which had no effect...I was also at a loss..

I removed all the gravel and did a 100% water change. I rinsed out my sponge filter in a bucket of another tanks water that was unaffected and added 75% of the recommended dose of beneficial bacteria for when you're just starting a tank.. I then continued to use maracyn 2 and didn't lose any other fish after that... Remember to remove the carbon filter media

Sounds harsh but just cull the visibly infected to stop the spread. Salt and lowered temp will help and so will very clean water.

If one has it, i believe they all do. I thought weeks ago that something was wrong and treated for paracites. Its been at least 3 weeks now. As it was only 2 males that were showing white lips i thought it was because of fighting or aggression.

But now the males seem to be the strongest and most active.

It heart wrentching to be honest.. aged 35% changes every second day, feeding twice daily, theyre breeding and everyone is(WAS) happy, bright colors and now this!! Why me, ive done enough for them to feel more than comfortable. In noway has this happend through my neglect and its times like these that make you want to pack it up but we soldier on.

Last edited:
Well some good news, i havent lost any fish and it seems to have cleared up alot. It looks like its gone completely from some of my fish using myxazin, salt and 70ºf o temp. Catching it earlyish and having rezziliant fish will of helped. 1 out of the 2 meds i ordered have arrived, the furan2 and im just waiting on the kanaplex so i can treat with both combined.

I have to say it's been rather scary as ive never experienced columnaris before and only seen and heard the horror stories. Its not over but we're battling hard.

Im thinking whether i should keep up on the salt and lower the temp back down while treating with these 2meds incase one of the two becomes less effective or fizzles out in warmer water.

So should i keep the salt high and the temp low aswell while treating with these meds?

Oh and another thing im terrified of using the furan2. Gloves and a face mask maybe:S It's carcinogenic!!!!!!!

Last edited:
No luck with a furan2 kanaplex cocktail.. had better results with salt and myxazin. Getting seriously worried now as im running out of options.

Back
Top Bottom