Using Activated Carbon to Remove Meds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i dont usually have carbon in my filters, but do have some lying around, like those that came with initial filter purchases and such. I just have them sitting in a ziploc bag right now. If i use the carbon to remove meds, can i just stick em back in the ziploc after a day or two and store them? does carbon "spoil" or "go bad" with time?

I don't think carbon goes bad really, and can't say if it would hurt any, but it would have the meds you put into the tank on it now and I personally wouldn't want to introduce that back into my tank at a later date. I would just toss them.

After a while carbon does lose its effectiveness, so I'm not sure how long they would be good after they are stored. Not to mention they would probably mildew if stored after they got wet. The main reason the instructions with the little filter inserts say to replace them every 30 days (other than trying to milk fishkeepers for all their money) is that the carbon doesn't keep removing stuff from the water after about a month.

After a while carbon does lose its effectiveness, so I'm not sure how long they would be good after they are stored. Not to mention they would probably mildew if stored after they got wet. The main reason the instructions with the little filter inserts say to replace them every 30 days (other than trying to milk fishkeepers for all their money) is that the carbon doesn't keep removing stuff from the water after about a month.

I heard 10 days then it starts to put it back in. The only time I use it is to clean mess put it in for a couple days then throw it out.

haha so true. when i first learned that i could just rinse my filter pads and such in tank water, i was so excited as to how much cash would be saved!

Back
Top Bottom