Velvet issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peaceablegarden

Aquarium Advice Freak
My CT Betta who resides in Tank 1 (see sig line), had velvet a little over a month ago. He was qt'd for about 2 weeks before returning him to the tank and since then he has been fine. This morning I noticed he was hiding for long periods of time in the cave. Same thing this afternoon. When I roused him, he came out and and started flashing. I also noticed his anal fin beginning to clamp. Same symptoms as last month.

Pwc yesterday (I do a weekly 20%, but yesterday did a bigger than usual change and vacuum about 35-40%), water parameters are as follows:

Temp: 77F
Ammonia: 0
NitrItes: 0
NitrAtes: 5.0
pH: 7.2

During the last go around none of the other fish contracted the velvet. All the other fish seem fine today. I've qt'd the Betta and started treatment.

It was my understanding that the parasite that causes velvet will die off if there is no host. So, where does it come from? I've not introduced any new fish and everyone has been healthy.

The cyst that is part of the life cycle is hard to get rid of. Heat and no light will help treat velvet. Velvet can live for more than a month in the cyst form in lower temperatures.
Did you use a copper base treatment the first time?

I have a product called Simply Betta. I had a copper based med in my hand (more expensive) and the lps guy recommened something specific for Bettas. Ingredients include...
COLLOID COMPLEX
PHOSPHORIC ACID
MALACHITE GREEN
PROTEIN SOLUBOLIZER

I did a little research and coppersafe is fine for betta, some medicine bothers the labyrinth organ. That is why I wanted to know the ingredients of the medicine. Malachite green is the active ingredient in Simply Betta and it is betta safe. It works best with the lights out.

This is one of my favorite sites to go to when I have betta problems UltimateBettas (Powered by Invision Power Board) they know what they are talking about because of a lot of first hand experience. I have only had a mild case of velvet and raising the temperature and putting the fish in the dark worked fine.

Is this the betta in the 10 gallon tank? The reason I ask is because being with other fish can be very stressful to a betta. I have one that seems to be fine with a bristlenose in his tank but not otos and he is stressing out. They have been in there for 3 days now I will give it another day or before someone is going to have to move. I am hoping it will work out, yet I don't want to lose my betta or my otos.

Yes, I've had a towel wrapped around the bowl to keep it dark while treating.

I also belong to UltimateBettas. Its a great site. I like getting second opinions.

Yes, this is the Betta in the tank. He doesn't appear stressed by the other fish. They all leave each other alone. He is usually busy scoping out the tank, is active, eats well, and isn't flaring at the other fish and they don't bother him (no chasing, tail nipping). It's actually pretty funny when they bump noses - literally and not in any sort of an agressive way. It's like, hey, who are you? He just doesn't seem stressed to me. I tried with my other Betta in the same tank and that absolutely would not ever work. He never even left the bag. Generally speaking I've heard that Bettas do well with Otos. Hope all works well for you.

If he doesn't get better in about a week I would treat him with a copper based medicine.

If you didn't treat the whole tank he was in every time you put him back in he might get reinfected with the parasite.

Most LFS sell CopperSafe don't use it if you have snails or shrimp in the tank that you do want. It works well with velvet. It will kill the free swimming parasite only, not the cysts I don't know of anything that will kill that stage. If you use carbon in your filter make sure you take that out. Make sure you use it for the recommended time since the cysts hang around for about a month.

No it won't bother your cycle since it doesn't have any antibiotics but it will most likely kill any shrimp or snails you may have.

Back
Top Bottom