very ill weather loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jess12313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi my weather loach has started to float upside down and is stuggiling to breath atm he is floating upside down at the top of the tank he keeps breathing in air from the surface and then releasing it from his air whole thing dk what its called sorry ive tried giving him a pea but he doesn't want to eat when I found him he was on his back on the bottom of the tank until now he is floating since I helped him get air and idk if this helps u figure this out but my sister said this morning she heard a plop like bang from the tank and looked over and he was floating and also one of his eyes is slightly swollen so idk if he hit the glass or when too far out of the water any help is greatly appreciated thanks chloe

Hit the glass?

Assuming tank all good I don't know of any treatment apart from say in a breeder net for somewhere quiet and stress free.

egg eggs they had gone mouldy and its still laying them its air bubble thing looks really big and protruding out more than usual :confused:

Very odd, I'm not aware of breeding even existing in the home aquaria for weather loaches.

If he won't eat it could be a parasite, as in my experience they can cause a loss of appetite. PraziPro is a good treatment for them.

Can you post the water parameters?

Caleb

updates-he lost a lot of colour but now is starting to get a bit more back he can sit up now and when he gets pushed over by other fat clumsy fish he lays on his side not his back he moves his whole body and swims for a matter of seconds if u hold him his whole thing has gone down a considerable amount and looks like normal now but I have not yet seen him eat and he is being treated for swimbladder as his stomach was the only part floating but he has stopped floating and can hold himself up for a few mins (the right way up) and sorry I cant get the parameters (will try later )does any one have a idea of what to do and what the next step is or is euthanizaure a possibility :ermm::(

went to feed them this morning and he was sitting up the right way (goals:cool:)he acc ate some food yesterday (thank god) he has a lot more colour back later on today I will try and feed him blood worms as ive heard they really like them I don't know if this is the reason but I think that he isn't swimming as he might still feel a bit ill he has progressed a lot and might just need to rest if anyone has any advice or any tips on helping him recover what would it be many thanks chloe x:confused:

IMO this comes down to the owners decision. If you believe it's past the point of return then so be it. I've seen fish make very very hard but successful recoveries.

Caleb

thank you everyone but I think what I will do is see how he is in a few days after his treatment is complete then if he isn't better get some other medications and see if that helps after all that If he is still not able to swim unfortunately theres only he option of putting it down :(:nono:

do you think its constipation as ive been reading different problems and they sound like similar symptoms ?

Back
Top Bottom