Warning re: water temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was doing a major PWC and didn't check the tap water temp often enough. My tank, usually at 80° went to 82° and cooked two Cories. :(

Hmmm maybe it was something else then. I can't figure it out then.

That is odd. When I change my water there have been times when the temp is a little higher or lower & have not had any adverse effects. BUT I don't have cories, I have Bettas, a snail, CAE's.

Ya 2 degree different shouldn't matter really. I'm sure it happens with everyone.

People drop the temp quite a bit more than 2 degrees to induce spawning... on purpose. I'd also look in to something else. If it was a large water change, I'd suspect the tank and tap chemistry were significantly different.

Sorry about your loss. I would definitely check the water parameters right away above all else.

Thanks all.
I'm changing about 40 % of the water 4 times a week because I somehow messed up my BBs. Could have been from the Triple Sulfa treatment I used because my Cories had lost their barbells (I finished that treatment 2 weeks ago). Or I could have inadvertently washed too many away when I vigorously rinsed my filter sponges last week, although I used old tank water. In any case, I'm checking my ammonia twice a day and changing 40% as soon as I see a little green with my API master test kit. So the ammonia never gets above .25 ppm.

The angels are still breeding like mad, nothing has effected them. I'm about to give up on Cories as I only have 3 albinos and 1 false-Julii left.

It's a 55 gal BTW, partially planted with a sand base. Occupants are Jack & Diar, the Koi Angelfish, 8 neon tetras, 1 albino Pleco (the kind that stays really small) and the four Cories I mentioned When the tank stops cycling I guess I'll try adding a few more Cories but at an even slower rte of 1 a week.

Open to suggestions.

drew.hinds said:
it will not if it is city water, unless they are really sensitive fish

Ummm
What's the difference? I know people with fish who live in the city and they have to add dechlor to their PWC water

emerald76 said:
Ummm
What's the difference? I know people with fish who live in the city and they have to add dechlor to their PWC water

You,should always add a water conditioner when using tap water.

Back
Top Bottom