Was my guppy constipated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
So one of my guppies was acting a bit weird for the past two days. He was just a bit lazy and not moving much as he usually did. I noticed a brown bit near his anus (I think). So right after I fed the tank, I saw this large (thick) piece of poo hanging from him for a few seconds. it looked much thicker (as in diameter, not viscosity) than what usually come out of the fish.

I was just thinking that he was acting like I would if I was constipated. :rolleyes: You know, lazy, not wanting to do much. Since then the brown spot is gone, and he's swimming around normally. I just want to know if my thinking was right.

Besides some increased brown tint due to some driftwood, all of my levels are fine (I checked with my liquid kit). The pH didn't even go down much due to the driftwood. (Probably .1 or so) Also the driftwood was perfectly clean. It was boiled and I've had two pieces in the tank for a couple months. I just added 2 more small pieces the other day, hence the increased brown tint. (And my carbon was reaching the end of it's usefulness)

Glad he's feeling better! You can feed your fish boiled, de-shelled peas once a week to help with any constipation. :)

Back
Top Bottom