Water I add is always acidic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Whenever i do a PWC, once i add back the water the pH shoots down. My water i add is very acidic, but not as acidic as the tank is. Like when i test it, the ph vial is almost clear. How do i raise the pH? ive heard you can use Arm and Hammer baking soda, but that was from a petsmart employee, and the last time i went to petsmart, there were green chromis in the FW section...

mr.waffles1842 said:
Whenever i do a PWC, once i add back the water the pH shoots down. My water i add is very acidic, but not as acidic as the tank is. Like when i test it, the ph vial is almost clear. How do i raise the pH? ive heard you can use Arm and Hammer baking soda, but that was from a petsmart employee, and the last time i went to petsmart, there were green chromis in the FW section...

I'd use a bag of crushed coral in the filter. It will keep your Ph stable and raise it a bit. sometimes its best to not mess with the Ph if all the fish are living happily

mr.waffles1842 said:
so the coral will keep the pH at the right alkalinity?

Yes, it will keep the oh stable and bring it up a little. My bag of cc keeps the Ph at a constant 7.4

i would recommend not messing with it. what sort of readings are u geting from your tank and your tap water? also depending on the fish your keeping a low ph might be fine most fish are very flexable as far as ph is concerned as long as they are conditioned to it, i know rams are an exception in a breeding situation they like being in water of about 6-6.5 but many ppl keep a happy non breeding pair in ph levels of around 8.

just keep an eye on it, but dont worry about it.

mr.waffles1842 said:
is that too high for plants and such? corys, shrimp and such?

It will be fine for them. But is there a problem or health concern that you want to raise the Ph?

Corys mostly like Soft Acidic water. Many are from Black Water biotopes. Don't mess with PH unless you have a reason.

I used AquaSoil to lower PH for my newest Shrimp tank :)

Lol, when corys are dying cuz my water is 5 pH, i think they are inclined to be fed up with "soft acidic water". Ive had 3 corys, a platy, a whole school of harlequin rasboras, 4 otos, and a dwarf gourami die on me from the pH. Im certain cuz its the only thing different, no nitrite or nitrate spikes. The readings from my tap water and aquarium water are allmost the same. Yellow so light its almost clear.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Lol, when corys are dying cuz my water is 5 pH, i think they are inclined to be fed up with "soft acidic water". Ive had 3 corys, a platy, a whole school of harlequin rasboras, 4 otos, and a dwarf gourami die on me from the pH. Im certain cuz its the only thing different, no nitrite or nitrate spikes. The readings from my tap water and aquarium water are allmost the same. Yellow so light its almost clear.

You didn't say you were losing fish. Yes, PH of 5 is super low. They like mid 6s fine, but yeah that would be a bit much.

mr.waffles1842 said:

Oh wow. That stinks. I think cc will help you a lot

Back
Top Bottom