Weird Scum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WeeShell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
My tank has developed a weird waxy scum. It is 200 litres and home to a doz Neons and 2 bristlenose plecs. I was having a serious problem with cyanobacter algae so I have had the lights off for 2 months. Now that they are back on (low) this has happened. Nothing I have ever seen before, anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 62
It rings a bell with my sisters tank. The water looks clear underneath? Not cloudy white or green?

This tank was badly neglected (just hers, not yours). It looked like algae or something had formed on top and then died. But I don't know for sure.

I did several complete water changes (no fish in tank) and then got the filter working again to keep the water somewhat agitated and not still so pond scum, ect could form.

Clear water

Hi the water is as clear as one would expect in an Amazon type tank with bog wood. NO2 & NO3=0 ,GH<6, KH=8, PH=7 fish all healthy and happy. There is also lots of surface agitation.

Just checking but getting the scum even with good surface water flow? Like from a canister filter?

Will do some reading but out of ideas if anyone else may know.

Hi

My tank has developed a weird waxy scum. It is 200 litres and home to a doz Neons and 2 bristlenose plecs. I was having a serious problem with cyanobacter algae so I have had the lights off for 2 months. Now that they are back on (low) this has happened. Nothing I have ever seen before, anyone have any ideas?

Have you changed your water conditioner recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The picture does NOT show a lot of surface agitation?
It shows one possible clear spot from a filter return(that I do not see??)
What are you waterchange habbits and what type of filter are you using.
Cyano is a bacteria so erythromycin will knock it out,but does nothing to address the cause.
One of the causes in many peoples opinions is water quality.
More specifically nitrates.
Next is circulation.
Laying a newspaper on the surface and then drawing it off from one end to the other will remove a lot of the scum.
OLD SCHOOL!
After that you need to increase circulation a bunch IMO.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/controlling-cyanobacteria

The picture does NOT show a lot of surface agitation?
It shows one possible clear spot from a filter return(that I do not see??)
What are you waterchange habbits and what type of filter are you using.
Cyano is a bacteria so erythromycin will knock it out,but does nothing to address the cause.
One of the causes in many peoples opinions is water quality.
More specifically nitrates.
Next is circulation.
Laying a newspaper on the surface and then drawing it off from one end to the other will remove a lot of the scum.
OLD SCHOOL!
After that you need to increase circulation a bunch IMO.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/controlling-cyanobacteria

Nice post!

This made me laugh 'Knowing that cyanobacteria are bacteria rather than algae in the ordinary sense suggests a possible use at last for that ineffective erythryomycin at the back of your medication closet.'

Today was shining a torch at the back of the cupboard to see what had accumulated over the years.

I use Prime by Seachem to treat new water and have done for years. I do a 10-15% change and hoover the gravel about once a month as the population of my tank is very low. I am running 2 power heads on the under gravel plus the in tank filter with has a UV.

Back
Top Bottom