what do i do? --- ammonia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vikki.kixx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i've had a ammonia problem in my tank, so i've done pwc and i was using prime in the tank as well after i found out we had a problem.

we did a full water change on saturday and added nutrafin cycle and some prime in there, we still have ammonia present and i just found a guppy with definite signs of ammonia poisoning. what can i do for him? i'm at my wits end with this tank and the ammonia problem.

i've taken him out of the tank and placed him in a small 2 gallon tank with a air bubbler and some new water anything else i can do? is there some kind of treatment for it?

i feel so sad seeing the little guy suffer and i feel like such a terrible person :(

according to the api test kit i've got .25 ppm of ammonia present.

0.25 is not that high .. is that before or after the water change?

Also, what is the nitrite level?

If your tank is cycling, the only real treatment is super clean water, which means lots of water changes!

sadly, the guppy has passed :(

we only have the kit for ammonia, i'm planning on buying the master kit friday when i get paid from work. when i took the water to get tested at petsmart, she said everything was normal except for the ammonia problem.

do you recommend doing another pwc this soon after a full water change or wait a few more days to let the prime and nutrafin cycle work?

Ideally, you would do water changes based on your test readings. In the absence of tests, daily 10-25% pwc during cycling is good practice. Clean water (as long as it is parameter matched - temp, etc) never hurts.

I am deeling with a similar problem with my tank, and now my sisters. I caught the problem early in mine and am doing a half water change at least once a day. If i can before i go to school. So far my fish seam for the most part content but i am still in the early stages... good luck!

Back
Top Bottom