What do you guys think about using a syringe on a fish with dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
MY dad has a 30gal aquarium with 3 platys. One of the platys has developed dropsy. I do PWC and test his water every 2-3 days when I visit(tank is currently cycling). The parameters are all fine as of now. Not sure why it developed dropsy. The one platy is pretty bloated and is no longer swimming. It's just doing a head stand at this point and it's scales are raised. I don't think it will make it another 24 hours.

I've read that some people had success using a syringe on a fish with dropsy to suck out the collected fluids. From what I've read, the fish have survived the procedure and recovered.

Has anyone here tried this with any success? Would you do it if you knew the fish won't last another 24 hours and might have a chance to recover if the fluids are drained?

Dropsy is swelling due to fluid accumulation in the tissues. You can't really suck that out with a syringe.

A related condition - ascites - is fluid collection in the abdomen. You might be able to aspirate fluid out, but without treating the underlying cause, this is just temporizing. At any rate, surgical procedures are usu. feasible on big fish (like 6+"). An inept aspiration with a needle (I assume you are not a trained vet) will likely do more harm than good.

You might have more luck using a chemical method to draw out the fluid. Isolating the fish in a hospital setup & using a MgSO4 (Epsom's salt) bath will help to draw out fluid. You will still need to treat the underlying condition, as all the removing of fluid is just treating the symptoms.

Articles on the care, upkeep and maintenance of tropical fish, Dropsy

Back
Top Bottom