What happened :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJB1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What happened to my betta? He's been fine and nothing has changed since we brought him home, the other fish in the tank are all ok so assuming its not the water. We've put in medicine twice for ick just to make sure but it seems to be getting worse! I don't know what to do I came home from work and it looks like this and it was fine when I went to work today... He seems to be staying at the top of the tank by the duckweed and the filter out put. It's like it's been shredded, all of the clear fibers are still there but the color part is just falling off!

Attachments

• image-758463809.jpg
    image-758463809.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 66
What other fish are in the tank? It's possible something is attacking it; in general bettas do better alone. Also some meds aren't safe for bettas as they breathe through a labrynth organ. What are you using for Ich and are you sure it's Ich; treating for something "just in case" isn't usually a good idea and Ich can often be treated with just heat.

I'd isolate the betta into it's own 5 gal tank with a heater (a small filter would be good too but if you can't get one right away that's fine). Keep the bettas water very clean--do 50% water changes every day or two. That alone might help the fin rot. If it starts to get red or showing white patches you may need to treat with a betta-safe med.

Also testing your water when a fish is showing symptoms is always a first step, even if other fish aren't showing signs. Getting an API Master kit would be a good idea as well.

That happened to my Betta too when I used meds. I did a few large water changes and put in carbon but he died ?
Good luck with finding a cure x

Back
Top Bottom