What is going on with my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exteremecheddar123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have no idea what is happening in my tank but many fish keep dying. I had an oscar and it died. Then I bought some other African chiclids and all but 1 died. & now my JD just died. He was in my 30 for 3 years. I'm really mad because the people at the fish store have no idea what is happening. I have been putting in salt and using melafix at the moment.
My tank is 30 g
Ph - 7.4
Ammonia - 0
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388450254.289614.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388450266.482645.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388450278.034794.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388450300.667518.jpg

The first thing i can see is none of these fish should be in a 30 gallon. It needs to be corrected and can be but lets get them healthy first if they arent to far advanced. I would try using a copper medication

Yea I can't do that

Why? If you can't sterilize the tank then there really isn't anything left for us to advise you on. Big fish in a small tank will make your water params go foul quickly. What are you using to test your water? What are your ammonia and nitrite readings? Best of luck.

Well I only have ammonia and ph I went to my LFS and they Saudi did not need nitrite& nitrate tests. The ammonia and phrase there ^ & isn't any soap let alone bleach toxic to fish?

The entire tank has to be taken down and everything bleached and washed out good. Then leave everything to sit out to air dry. It will kill any disease That would be in the tank. Its your best option.
Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate issues wouldn't cause the issues you was having

To add to that, I use a 1:19 ratio of bleach to water when sterilizing. I fill the tank up after it is cleaned up and double or triple dose Prime. Then drain and refill.

I'm sure with those size fish in a 30g there is some detectable ammonia or nitrites. Weakened fish will become more susceptible to disease as you know.

Back
Top Bottom