What is this growth/lump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I first saw this on my australian rainbow yesterday. Yesterday it looked quite white in color and literally looked like maybe just a small piece of gravel was stuck to him or something. It was protruding a lot. Today it's less white in color and protruding slightly less.

Any ideas?

planted tank 60g, ph 7.6, 0 trates/amm, nitrates 10ppm, temp 80, water change 50% weekly, tank mates are other community fish including guppies, neons, swordtails, mollies.

Any ideas? About to post pics.....

Anyone.....pretty please???

I have a nasty feeling some of the others have whatever this is as well as I think i can see small lumps under their scales that haven't broken through yet as they have in this pic.

Parasite of some kind?

Please help - I'm trying to find something online but can't find anything that looks like it....

It is the only fish with this? Looks like fungus to me. This happens when they get hurt, fungus grow on their lesion.

If it's really fungus, i would put him in a hospital tank and raise the temp...

How are they all doing out of interest?

Thanks for asking. He didn't ever appear to be sick based on behavior and still looks just fine apart from the thing on his side. At one point it was a big protruding lump that literally looked like a piece of gravel or something had stuck to his side - other fish were even trying to eat it thinking it might be food! Now the actual lump part seems to be pretty much gone. You can still see where it was but it looks like it's healing so I'm keeping my fingers crossed he's going to be ok!

My ram has one.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433708932.704740.jpg
Will it just go away? It seems to be getting worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Curious myself. OP are you getting lumps on the others as well?

Sorry only just saw this. I've not seen anything like it outside the scales on others but I wonder if I can see some under the scales on others. Not sure but possibly.

I think maybe fungus? Glad it's better. Hopefully nothing major...

At a guess I've thought these are the equivalent of some sort of bacteria induced pimple or boil under a scale. But I can't find anything on these after searching.

Read up on furunculosis tonight as similar but that seems more serious (although perhaps pics and research are of more serious cases?).

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/pondsubwebindex/holedispd.htm

Parasites could be also a cause but I can't quite get it to fit as it seems a bump occurs, rapidly gets bigger, ruptures, heals and tank back to normal... It seems to occur in some well established tanks so I'm kind of thinking where did the parasites come from and where did they go? Were the parasites always there and just waiting for a stressed fish? But then why only one outbreak.

Same problem with bacteria but I can get my head around it being similar to a boil / lump / pimple on us. Bacteria always there, hair cell gets infected, lump appears, ruptures and heals.

Below is a link on this which is really just for conversation.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article25.html

No one suggested Lymphocystis?
Or is that a tumor?

Likely yes in which case there is no cure. However it will not harm the fish and is hardly contagious. Generally caused by a virus. Often the lump will go away on it's own in time. (Can take months). If it's not fungus or a parasite then Lumphcystis is your best bet. Just leave it and make sure the water parameters are fine and no doubt it will disappear. Be patient and just forget about it if the fish is not bothered.

Back
Top Bottom