What more can I do for our Comet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IsabellaG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I'm on day 18 of doing a fish in cycle. Since yesterday, the Comet is resting on the gravel a lot. I've read somewhere that they do this when resting, but the Comet's fins are also very droopy. I did a 20% water change this morning and a 50% water change when we got back from work. With every water change I vacuum the gravel as well. My water test results for the past week have been Ammonia between 0.00 and 0.25 and no Nitri/ates.

The Comet did perk up and was actively chasing the food (droopy fins and all) when I fed them tonight (peas) but would then have a rest on the gravel again. During and after the water change both the Shubunkin and the Comet were very active.

I don't like the droopy fins. Read somewhere that is a sign of an unhealthy fish. Does anyone have any idea what else I can do to help the Comet perk up apart from the water changes and gravel vacuum? Since we're only on day 18 I haven't looked at cleaning the filter yet. Should I look into that? Also I realised today that the fish tank glass feels a bit slippery on the inside. Should I clean the glass too?

If anyone has any advice I'd much appreciate it!

I've put today's test results in my fish log book and I'll post these in this thread as well. I took some photos and I'll see if I can figure out how to post them.

Thanks everyone,
Isabella.

Our fish in cycle logbook

Below is my fish diary. I now know where I went wrong at the start and I'm just really hoping I kan keep the fish alive through the nitrogen cycle. Also as soon as i can I'll be getting a bigger tank for the two goldfish.

Fish in Cycle with 2 goldfish (approx 2 cm and 3 cm long)

9/7 -
Unplanned purchase of a fish bowl and 2 goldfish (comet and shubunkin) from a local fish shop. Partial water changes every second day. Start reading about keeping fish. Find out that a fish bowl is really bad for the fish.
16/7 – 22/7
Transferred the two gold fish from the fishbowl to the new 50liter tank and continue to look for information on how to keep goldfish happy. Find out about nitrogen cycle. Doing 15-20% water changes every second day.
23/7 – 26/7
Bought API water testing kit and start daily testing. The ammonia level has been the same 4 days running: 0.25ppm with 0 nitrites and nitrates (Ph 7.6 in the tank and from the tap) and big, milky bacterial bloom. Keep up with partial waterchanges every second day. Find Aquarium Advice forums
27/7 - Day 11
Started daily 50% water changes to get ammonia levels down, the bacterial bloom disappears after a few days. Ph: 7.2, Ammonia 0.00, Nitrite: 0.00, Nitrate:0.00
28/7 - Day 12
Ph: 7.4, Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrites: 0.00, Nitrates: 0.00 50% water change. Been worried about the little comet who hasn’t eaten much or even at all since the move to the bigger tank. Tried peas today and she ate!
29/7 - Day 13
Ph: 7.2, Ammonia: 0.25 (on the light side), Nitrites: 0.00,Nitrates: 0.00, Approx 40% water change.
30/07 - Day 14
Ph 7.2, Ammonia 0.00, Nitrite 0.00, Nitrate 0.00, 0% waterchange
31 July 2011 - Day 15
Ph: 7.4, Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrites: 0.00, Nitrates: 0.00, 40% waterchange
1 Aug 2011 - Day 16
Ph: 7.4, Ammonia: between 0.00 and 0.25, Nitrite: 0.00, Nitrate: 0.00, 0% water change
2 Aug 2011 - Day 17
Ph 7.4, Ammonia - 0.25, Nitrite - 0.00, Nitrate - 0.00, 40-50 % water change. Comet resting on the gravel a lot and fins are not erect.
3 Aug 2011 – Day 18
Tested ammonia levels before going to work between 0.00 and 0.25, changed 20% to be sure. Will test again tonight.
Test parameters this evening: Ph 7.6, Ammonia between 0.00 and 0.25, Nitrite 0.00 Nitrate 0.00 50% water change

Back
Top Bottom