Whats wrong with my Cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animag771

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20g tank with 8 neon tetras, 1 guppy, 1 apistogramma agassizii and 5 julii cories.

I got all of my cories within 2 weeks of each other and one of them is still very small in comparison and is much lighter colored than the others (maybe just a different gender?). It's pectoral fins seem to be splitting a bit as well though and it is VERY inactive... Just kind of finds a spot and stays immobile until it is nudged by another fish, then moves to a new spot to mope. The first thing I noticed though was the eyes are much brighter than the other's. I have attached some images to compare it to the other cories and show the fins.

Any ideas would be very helpful. I don't want to just start throwing chemicals at it.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405024018071.jpg
    1405024018071.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1405024106255.jpg
    1405024106255.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 1405024119790.jpg
    1405024119790.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 73
How long have you had that particular fish? It could just be he's still getting acclimated. I have 9 cories in my 29 gal tank, and they've been in there for a little over 2 1/2 years. When I first got them, some were quick to acclimate, some were slower. A couple are much smaller, but I don't think there's anything wrong.

Same with yours. Probably still just a little stressed. Give it time.

Thanks, that Cory has been in there for about 2 1/2 months. I would hope he/she would have become acclimated by now. Is there anything I can do for the fins? Maybe some aquarium salt will help?

Everything I've heard indicates that cories are a little sensitive to salt. One of my cories got beat up pretty bad and both of its pectoral fins were basically gone. I was amazed at how it was still swimming. I just gave it time and today it's back to normal.

Ok I guess I'll just give it some more time. Maybe I'm stressing over nothing. I just want my fish to be happy and healthy ?

Don't we all? I'm sure he will be fine. Cories are incredibly hardy in my experience. In the two and a half years I've had mine, I've only lost one, and he was in bad shape coming from the pet store.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice and giving me some peace of mind

Is it breathing fast as well? Do they kind of tip over with the flow of the water occasionally? If you shine a flashlight on them, do you see shiny gold patches around their gills?

I have limited experience with Julii Cories. I just got some a couple weeks ago. I've lost a couple and it all started with them sitting on the bottom and not moving for long periods. I've since discovered I have Velvet in my tank (thus the gold gills), so I've started treating it with Seachem's Paraguard. It's taken a few days of dosing, but I'm starting to see some improvement.

There are gold patches around the gills on a few cories and that particular cory has been breathing heavily and seems weak. Maybe it isn't affecting the others as much because they are much bigger? Here is another pic. You think it's velvet? If so what would be the treatment? I can't set up a QT, I read something about treating velvet with hydrogen peroxide, but I'm worried that will also lower their defenses by removing the slime coat.

Pics

Attachments

• 1405286149690.jpg
    1405286149690.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 1405286169469.jpg
    1405286169469.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 52
There are gold patches around the gills on a few cories and that particular cory has been breathing heavily and seems weak. Maybe it isn't affecting the others as much because they are much bigger? Here is another pic. You think it's velvet? If so what would be the treatment? I can't set up a QT, I read something about treating velvet with hydrogen peroxide, but I'm worried that will also lower their defenses by removing the slime coat.

Yeah, that's what mine look like, but worse. I'm working under the assumption that it's Velvet, the "gold dust" disease. It's basically Ich's bigger, badder brother and has a similar life cycle. I'm treating it with Seachem's Paraguard, because I have shrimp in my tank, but there are a lot of options. You can raise the temperature to speed up the life cycle. Apparently, the parasites have chlorophyll in them and actually photosynthesize, so turning off the aquarium lights helps too.

This link isn't perfect, but it's a starting place: Aquarium Fish Disease Velvet

One time one of my emerald cories wasn't moving at all against the glass even when I was tapping the glass and stuff so I grabbed the net and went to scoop it and once it was in the net it swam right out and was fine, they act weird sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

One time one of my emerald cories wasn't moving at all against the glass even when I was tapping the glass and stuff so I grabbed the net and went to scoop it and once it was in the net it swam right out and was fine, they act weird sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I really wish that were the case with mine, but it has been like this for a few days and is barely even making attempts to eat.

If he/she is eating, I would not worry. I think he is just going to be small. I have some cories that are midgets born in March of this year. They are no bigger than a 1/4 inch and are fine.

With his fins, the substrate might be too harsh, or maybe something else is sharp in the tank causing the fin splitting. Just keep the water clean so infection does not start. I have my cories on a sand substrate to keep their barbels from getting injured.

opps...never mind...I did not see the post about the gold patches and not eating.

Good Luck with them though.

Animag, I would definitely start treating with something if I were you. In my brief experience with Cories, once they sit on the bottom, barely moving for more than a day, it's a bad sign. I've had two do that and ended up losing both, even with treatment. Or... If you are frightened of medicine, gradually turn up the temp above 80 and do a major water change every single day, vacuuming the substrate. No guarantee, but at least you will be removing some of the parasites with every change and keeping the water super fresh and oxygenated for your fish friends.

What are your water parameters and water change schedule?

What are your water parameters and water change schedule?

I do a 30% water change weekly and the parameters are the same every week. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate and 7.8 ph.

Back
Top Bottom