What's Wrong With My Gouramis **** PHOTOS INCLUDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I posted last week about my Gouramis having tiny black spots all over them. They still have them, but now it seems as though the larger of the two has the most spots (before it was the smaller one). The spots are now mainly where their scales overlap and up on their fins. The larger one also has a grayish saddle patch shape forming over it's head. I wasn't overly concerned with them because my coworkers seem to think that this is normal, but I am starting to worry!

Edit: I just wanted to add that the black spots that my fish have look like blackheads. They don't look like the same spots caused from Ich (not sure if black Ich looks the same or not).

Today I noticed that both of them now have small bare spots (where the red coloring should be) on the sides. I haven't see any rubbing up against the sides of the tanks or any of the rocks or gravel. I haven't seen any fighting that would suggest that they're nipping each others sides. They do seem to chase each other from time to time, but when they meet up, it's normally the tail that gets swiped and neither one of their tails shows any signs of being bitten.

Both fish are acting perfectly normal. They're both anxious to eat once the food is put in there. They both swim around normally, there's no sideways swimming or lingering at the top or bottom of the tank.

Being my first fish this may be pefectly normal, but I can't help but feel that there's a problem that I should be treating. I called a local pet store and was told that it could be Black Ich and he suggested that I try putting some freshwater aquarium salt in the tank as well as slowly raising the temperature up to the low 80s (right now it's set 74°).

I tested the water again today and here are the readings:
PH = 7.1
AMMONIA = 0
NITRITE = 0
NITRATE = between 0-.5 (I couldn't tell which color matched the best because they're so close.. not quite as bright as 0, but not quite as orange as .5).

Anyone have any ideas?

- Mandy

I think black ich is a saltwater disease, but it sounds like you could have parasites. I agree with your lfs, put a2-3% salt concentration in the water with an elevated temp. Observe for a week, and see if theyre getting better/worse/the same and then reacess.
The spots could also be scabs from injury from fighting or heater burns, but I would still go with the salt route for now.

The larger one also has a grayish saddle patch shape forming over it's head
Does it look fuzzy or like mucus? It could be a response to parasites, or a secondary infection.

Here are a few pictures of my fish showing their spots. These were taken about 2 hours ago. Both fish are still acting perfectly normal and the water has tested normally as well.

*** Be warned - I wanted to show the detail so the photos are kind of big! ***

Photo #1
Photo #2
Photo #3
Photo #4
Photo #5
Photo #6
Photo #7 (this is the saddle patch that I mentioned)

- Mandy

The larger one also has a grayish saddle patch shape forming over it's head
Does it look fuzzy or like mucus? It could be a response to parasites, or a secondary infection.[/quote]
No, it kind of blends in with the rest of it's body. That's what's so weird about this whole thing because all of the spots seem to blend in. They're not bubbly like the Ich I've seen at the pet store.

You can see a photo of the patch by clicking on photo #7 in my previous post in this thread.

- Mandy

gourami

Looking at the pictures of your fish, there is nothing wrong with him. What you are seeing is merely pigmentation,,,it is bilateral and is pigment associated. While I will admit that cetain cancerous conditions can cause dark pigmentation in fish,,I highly doubt that this is the case. Your fish is a selectively bred animal,,it is not the natural coloration of C. lalia. What you are observing is a side effect of that breeding and as long as you maintain good water quality and feed properly then I do not anticipate any problem. Just be advised, dwarf gouramis are old at two years and since most people buy them as adults they do not live very long in the aquarium,,generally speaking. There is however,,always the odd fish that breaks the rules. Bill

Back
Top Bottom