Whats wrong with my guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
My guppies have had issues ever since I got them. I had 4 and now I am down to 3. I love the way they look but I think the other fish harass the heck out of them. Anyways, a couple weeks ago one started swimming squirrley and acted like he was sick so I got rid of him, did some water changes, and then this past weekend another one started getting some white spots on his back, it is just 3 of them, 2 towards the front and one near the tail but not on it. It kind of acted sluggish so I went and got some ich medicine because it said it worked for bacterial stuff too. I have been using as directed but it killed one danio and 3 neons so I really don't want to keep using it. I waited 2 days before doing a water change the first time because that's what it said and the fish died, so I have been doing it daily the last couple days and they have been ok. Anyways, the sickly looking one is zooming around like crazy and it was really hard to get pictures of him to show, I had to kind of corner him with my big net to get to where I could even get him to slow down enough to take pics. He obviously still has whatever it is by the looks of it, but not the way he acts. It's not cottony like a fungus, it's just spots. My fish were doing fine until some neons started getting caught in the filter and dying. I put a sponge filter over it so that it hasn't happened since. Tank paramaters are 0 for nitrates, ites, and amonnia. temp was 75 but i have turned it up to 78 slowly since i put in the med. ph is a little on the soft side but it's not rediculous, it has been the same since I got the tank. Tank has had fish in for 3 months and was cycled before and I never had any problems with it. Penguin 350 filter, 2 swordtails, 3 guppies, currently 2 neons (getting more when i get this straightened out, don't want to keep poisoning them) 5 danios, 6 cories, and a pearl gourami. Biggest fish in the tank, maybe 2 and a half in. I have to transport my water, I do water changes once or twice a week like 25% and 50% once every couple weeks. The guppy wasn't quarrantined, I don't have a quarantine tank, I realize this is a problem but I have been doing the old put the bag in the tank, wait, add some water, add a little more, net him out and put him in the tank thing. I put new gravel in like a month ago but rinsed thoroughly and I had charcoal in the filter until I started adding the medicine. The problems didn't start til long after I added the gravel. I have fed them the same stuff regularly, flakes and once a week or so I have been giving them some dried bloodworms. Anyways, if anyone can tell from my cruddy pictures I would appreciate it. Am I doing the right thing or should I be changing the type of medicine I put in there? Should I discontinue the ich med? Finally, should I just take out my guppies as they seem to be the only ones affected by it and just get a different kind of fish? Thanks

ICH meds are tough. Read entire label.
Most will say use HALF strength for Neons and Scaleless Fish (ie Cory cats ).

Id say get a little hospital tank if you can. ReTest water in main tank.

If it's Ich it looks like salt grains. Fish often rub against stuff.

Ich has to be treated multiple times usually.

If Guppies are being harassed get them out ! Poor things. White spots could be wounds, or just them fading from stress ??

Plan to add some good bacteria once you are done medicating. You changed your gravel ??

ICH meds are tough. Read entire label.
Most will say use HALF strength for Neons and Scaleless Fish (ie Cory cats ).

Id say get a little hospital tank if you can. ReTest water in main tank.

If it's Ich it looks like salt grains. Fish often rub against stuff.

Ich has to be treated multiple times usually.

If Guppies are being harassed get them out ! Poor things. White spots could be wounds, or just them fading from stress ??

Plan to add some good bacteria once you are done medicating. You changed your gravel ??
It doesn't look like salt grains, it is just 3 spots. I have been using half of the dosage because of the neons and corys. Maybe I can find a little hospital tank at salvation army or something, but then I will have to cycle it. I should clarify. I didn't "change" my gravel- I had some white in there but it wasn't quite enough, so I bought some black and added a little to it to help hold the plants and such down. Haven't been scratching that I have seen. I think I just got a bad one at the store and he brought it home and gave whatever he had to the others. That, combined with the other ones bugging them probably didn't help. I wonder if I should just stop with the ick medicine and see what happens

I had the exact same issue and it was fungal. cotton fungus, killed every single guppy I had.

Thanks. I put two of them down last night, just going to start the whole guppy experiment over. The little blue one I have thinks he is a neon and schools with them. He doesn't seem to be effected. I will get some anti fungual stuff when I get the new ones in case it comes back.

Love2Fish said:
Thanks. I put two of them down last night, just going to start the whole guppy experiment over. The little blue one I have thinks he is a neon and schools with them. He doesn't seem to be effected. I will get some anti fungual stuff when I get the new ones in case it comes back.

Why add more Guppies if they get harassed ???? Isn't that kinda mean?

Going to move some of the stuff around so they aren't so territorial. It's weird, some of the guppies harassed my swordtails wicked but the danios bugged the guppies. I think I'm only going to get one anyways so I have a pair

Yea I am having to go get all new guppies too. I have a bunch of guppy babies in a 10 gallon that were born before the parents died so thats a start, but I would like to go get some unrelated stock too. petco and petsmart are DEFFINETLY not a place im gonna go to again! Hope it works out better for u next time

Back
Top Bottom