White mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fiferjanis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is this? Quarantine?

Her appetite and body language seem ok, but I've only had her a week... Water parameters are perfect... 7.0 pH, no ammonia, no NO2 or NO3, about 3/4 the recommended salt for a 75 gal. tank, not overstocked... Temp 81.5 degrees

It's not fuzzy looking... It looks crusty, like dried salt on both top and bottom lips.

Attachments

• image-1244069089.jpg
    image-1244069089.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image-1766272691.jpg
    image-1766272691.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 64
If it isn't raised or fuzzy looking, id suggest that it might be an injury and it should heal eventually. If he/she was swimming around the tank quickly it might have bumped its nose.

Well, I took her and a "low-key" Molly out and put them in the quarantine tank. I hate to do that though, because the 10 gal. Is harder to keep good levels in. The Molly looks healthy enough, but is kind of shy, doesn't swim very enthusiastically, and doesn't readily eat. So, 10 gal. Is medicated with a broad-range "lifeguard" tablet, and I took out the charcoal pad and stuffed some filter-floss in its stead... Hopefully everyone will feel better...

I swear, this hobby is making me a piscehypochondriac... Is there ever a phase where you can relax and just do weekly maintenance chores?

Yes, there is :) trust me, things will be fine eventually and you can sit back and enjoy them. Please keep us updated! Im sure everyone will get better sounds like your taking good care of them.

Looking much better

Her mouth is looking much better now, although I still have yet to see her eat or act particularly excited. Either life in the 10gal. is boring, her tankmate is boring, or she's still kinda sick. How long do you usually leave them in the quarantine tank before deeming them "ok?" Not planning on moving her anytime soon, but her mouth is clearing up nicely, at least.

And it probably was fungus... I was moving stuff around the big tank last night hooking up my 406 Fluval canister I got (I always meant to get one, but just had a HOB filter in the meantime with the intent of using it as an auxilliary/backup to the canister). Anyway, stuff got shuffled, and fuzzy food went afloat. Tried to vacuum up any I saw. I've also been lowering the temperature slowly, so it's now hovering right at 80.

Any advice on how to keep fungus under control? I get I'm probably overfeeding, but aside from that... ? Water quality numbers seem good though, and I suspect it's mostly the sinking pellet food that gets fuzzy.

Usually if you keep water quality good and the tank clean properly, nothing of the sort comes up. But sometimes fish are stressed in other ways too like bullying but if none of that is going on I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't know much about Molly's but maybe someone else can let you know any further information that's needed

Well, that one in particular was never bullied. Any bullying happens within the mollies, and they actually seem cool with it. (And no actual physical contractor nipping, just "herding"). The platties all got along fine.

I know fungus was a problem in the 10 gallon... Again, I'm pretty sure it's one of the pellet foods. I've been vacuuming any fuzz I see (anytime) and doing water changes on Mondays (15-25%). The HOB filter was doing an awesome job, but one night with the Fluval, and I see what they mean by "polished" water. Sparkly! I have it all configured such that the food is in the feeding ring in the corner, and the fish know to go there. The filter output is kinda pointed in that direction so any food that makes it to the bottom will be near the intake and hopefully get sucked up. The section of tank that the canister isn't circulating is handled by the HOB and generally doesn't get food directed there. If there are any "dead" spots or poor water-quality spots, I can't tell by fish behavior.

The temp is right at 80... Do you think that's too high? I see most people saying their tanks are around 77. I think higher temperatures were another thing I read that can contribute to fuzz/fungus.

Back
Top Bottom