White String/Worm like Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

Have a few health concerns with my tank I'd appreciate some advice on.

Firstly while cleaning out one of my tanks I discovered a few white worm like things, about the thickness of a bean sprout, soft and easily breakable. I found one attached or sticking to some driftwood and the other in lying on some substrate.

The second white string like substance was much thinner (Like tooth floss thick) and being pooped out of one of my goldfish.

Both tanks have scaleless fish in the tanks so I'm hesitant as to what action to take.

Thanks in advance (y)

I would treat the goldfish with a metronizadole medicated food such as Metro-meds or Jungle anti-parasite and treat the water with Prazipro. I believe both are safe to use with the scaleless fish (they shouldnt be mixed with goldfish anyway) but you should check this for yourself as I am not 100% positive. Otherwise, remove the scaleless fish & treat the goldfish. Good luck!!!

Thanks jlk, I treated the tank with a dose of Tri-Sulfate as I wasn't able to obtain what you suggested sadly. Doesn't appear to have solved the problem...

Was able to obtain some pictures today, hopefully someone can advise what exactly I am dealing with?

j63jtk.jpg

2wbymug.jpg

akwzmx.jpg

Do you see movement in the poop (worms)? Just looking at it, it looks like your fish has been snacking on lots of greens (either fed or your plants) & looks fairly normal. If theres movement within the poop, then theres a parasite issue that needs to be addressed. White, stringy poop (not what is in the pic) is a classic sign of internal parasites.

Do you see movement in the poop (worms)? Just looking at it, it looks like your fish has been snacking on lots of greens (either fed or your plants) & looks fairly normal. If theres movement within the poop, then theres a parasite issue that needs to be addressed. White, stringy poop (not what is in the pic) is a classic sign of internal parasites.

I didn't see any movement, will re-examine more closelt when I get home.

The tank does have silver dollars which are fed hair grass and zuchinni so they may be the responsible part.

Thanks again, you've removed one of the problems I had to worry about (Hopefully!) :thanks:

Def offer the goldies daily veggies, too!! They love them & it will keep their digestive tracks running smoothly. Broccoli florets are great easy one (cooked enough so they sink)- toss some in & remove anything that hasnt been eaten after 24hrs & replace. Goldfish poop will resemble the color food they are eating (green foods=green poop). Glad to help! :)

Def offer the goldies daily veggies, too!! They love them & it will keep their digestive tracks running smoothly. Broccoli florets are great easy one (cooked enough so they sink)- toss some in & remove anything that hasnt been eaten after 24hrs & replace. Goldfish poop will resemble the color food they are eating (green foods=green poop). Glad to help! :)

Really really appreciate this thanks :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom