6 gallon cube stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason Longboard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I had a this cube for about 2 years, and I truly had it set up for disaster, substrate a bit thick, large wood piece that trapped way too much debris, auto heater that says 78 but never does, and just a dual sponge filter, oh and another wood piece that branches out the top of the tank.

clip on light.

bunch of floating moss.

Anyways, ugh somethins up with my keyboard, sorry, anyways so it made it a pain to gravel vac and do decent cleaning, I had a betta for about a year before dropsy death.

had some white clouds but being a rimless tank, those guys could get spooked and jump.

So I did a few guppies and a couple ammano shrimp.

1 shrimp died, then one fish, then i said what the heck, ammonia and nitrates were up, did too much water changes in a few days and caused tank to crash.

i first thought it was a bad bottle of prime, but when i had pulled the wood out, there were a few dead assassin snails, so i think thats what triggered all this to start, or, a bunch of trapped food in the crevices of the wood.

all i have is the dual sponge filters.

anyway, this tank crash caused by me trying to save it, but instead crashed it, made me pull the large wood,

now im doing mostly bare botom with a bit of black gravle and river rock i can just pop out.

the branch that sticks out, the moss, gonna get a new heater, and think ill get a regular filter.

want it to be easy to maintain and for bad stuff to not be able to hide.

Ive kept and bred many fish in many tanks for about 35 years.

now i just keep a killer 30 gallon and a 125 with all south american stuff.

However the nano tank gave me a sting.

So with all my other critters, snakes etc, i just want this small tsnk to be easier to maintain, so now that I know that part...........

I would love another Betta but Im truly believing the poor genetics thing now, so Im afraid to do them again.

Would like 1 decent size fish to be in it, the same way you would a betta.

however I may just go back to a few of the tiny rasboras or embers, I just, my goal here is to stay clear of these dang overly inbread fish like the bettas and guppies and such.

I want and need something hardier for this tank, that can handle a couple mistakes now and then, hopefully none, but you know what I mean..

I just cant think of 1 decent sized fish that would thrive in this size, like wishing there was a small super hardy cichlid that could do it, like maybe just one little Krib or something, I think a couple brevis would be not enough action, i think the apistos are to sensitive, gotta be something?

I think the big issue is water volume and tank size. Any chance you can upgrade it to a bigger tank or is it the only tank that would fit where it is?

A 20 gallon long or cube would give you space for a pr of Apistogrammas, assuming the GH and pH are suitable for them. But I reckon you will be struggling just due to the size. :(

ugh, no just this size.

was looking at it again, guess Im just gonna go with some little embers or other little guys and maybe shrimp or snails.

Whats the hardiest of the little guys

any other ideas

Back
Top Bottom