White Stuffy on Guppy Tail- Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maggie79

Aquarium Advice Newbie
White Stuff on Guppy Tail- Need Help!

Hi,
I'm new and my guppy has something wrong with his tail.

It was kinda split in half when I got him last friday (the tail). I thought it might have supposed to have been that way but am not sure.

Now the bottom half of it is completely covered in white stuff. It looks kinda fuzzy. It doesn't look like the pictures of ich I've seen, but there are so many different other things it might be that I'm overwhelmed and need help figuring out what it is and what I need to do.

I've pulled him out of the main tank and put him in a tiny 1 gallon tank with an air bubble thingy. This is probably to small but its what I have here.

I didn't notice anything at all until this evening when I got home. Another fish suddenly died last night too, but had no white stuff anywhere on him.

I've been changing out the water every weekend taking out and replacing around 15 gallons (of the 46 gallon tank). This is with a vacuum gravel thing.

I bought him last friday, so almost a week ago. I stuck him in the bag in the tank for temp, then added a bit of tank water to the bag, then dumped him in with around 15 minutes between each. I didn't quarintine him or anything.

I haven't added anything new that I can think of since I got him- oh I did start feeding the corydories shrimp pellets but am not sure how that could be related.

I've been feeding them TetraMin tropical crisps and omegaone shrimp pellets. I also added 2 peas about 4 days ago b/c I was afraid my pink glofish was constipated. He shrunk back to size.

Let me know if you need any other information. I'm now going to attempt to figure out how to upload a picture of him.

I know how you feel with how to diagnose. I had a problem of this not so long ago and it wiped out half my guppy population - all started with diminishing tails. After gathering advice from various sources it came down to being a bacterial infection. i treated with waterlife Myxazin which seemed to do the job however i was then informed that a better treatment is available called Melafix.
I don't want to advise you of what it could be or what action to take but read up on internal bacterial infection... also what is his poo like? i kinda confirmed my diagnosis as another symptom of it is really white stringy poo.... not pretty. you should get some more info from others though which hopefully will help. Good luck.

DK, can i ask whilst treating with Primafix and Melafix would you still do water changes? i have both these and am currently treating tank for the 7 day period but would i leave whilst treating or do water changes in between????

LOL stop it i just panicked then! on my bottles it says after the 7 days so i guess i just finish the course then pwc... just seems like a long time... tank smells lovely too!

Haha! Well, I know I did change part of mine after 3 days, maybe that's why I am stuck on the 3 days thing. But it does smell better than most meds! Pimafix smells better than Melafix though.

have to disagree with that last comment - i like the tea tree of Melafix, Primafix reminds me of a strong alcoholic shot that someone alsways seems to buy the group when out.... reminds me of BAD hangovers! lol

Best thing is though whatever the problem is with the guppy tail, melafix and primafix will cure most things that could be wrong! only thing it doesn't seem to cure is white spot unfortunately!

Back
Top Bottom