Worried about our Comet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IsabellaG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
2 Aug 2011 - Day 17 - Fish-in Cycle

Ph 7.4
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrite - 0.00
Nitrate - 0.00
40-50 % water change

I'm worried about the Comet. The Shubunkin has grown somewhat, but the Comet hasn't. She didn't eat for maybe a week when the fish had just moved to the new tank (not even blood worms) but started eating again when I gave them some peas. Today for the first time when the lights went on she was resting in a corner on the gravel a lot. And her fins aren't erect, which apparently is not a good sign. I've been doing water changes as soon as the Ammonia tests 0.25. Water changes are between 40-50% (50 liter tank and two buckets of 12 liters each). Is there anything else I can do? I'd really hate to lose her. :( The shubunkin seems alright, very active, eats well. Below is a summary of my fish adventure so far.

We're cycling with two small goldfish (approx 2.5cm each) in a 50 liter tank. Fish started out in a fish bowl. I did a 50% water change every other day, and then I found out that a bowl is not good for the fish. Knowing what I know now, I still can't believe the fish shop sold us the fish bowl and the two goldfish to go in it. They had a whole shelf of fish bowls! Their advice was weekly water changes and feed lightly for the first week. :ermm:

I bought the 50 liter tank a week later (I now know the tank is too small for the fish and I will upgrade this to a bigger tank as soon as I can). Second weekend I bought the API master test kit and the gravel pump. I started daily water testing.

I got a bacterial bloom the second week and 4 days of 0.25 ammonia levels. After I found this website I started doing daily 50% water changes to get the ammonia levels down and the bacterial bloom disappeared too. I'm now doing 40-50% water change when Ammonia hits 0.25 (currently every other day). Ammonia levels have been steady between 0.00 and 0.25 no nitrites or nitrates yet. I do a gravel clean with every water change too.

Hi IsabellaG,
It's possible that the comet is more sensitive than the shubunkin to ammonia, etc. You are right that bottom sitting and clamped fins are not a good sign in a goldfish/comet. While fish can go a week without eating, some need nearly perfect water conditions. I'd recommend doing daily water changes to get the ammonia as close to 0 as possible...
There are several goldfish experts on this site so I'm sure they'll weigh in with more advice.
Chris

Thanks Chris,
I tested this morning for ammonia levels and its difficult to see. My hubby said it was more towards 0.25 and I thought it was more towards 0.00. I did a 20% water change just to be sure and will test again this evening. She was up and swimming around this morning, but her fin still looks a bit droopy. Got to get ready for work now, keeping my fingers crossed.
Cheers,
Isabella

My Fish In Cycle Log Book

Below is my fish diary. I now know where I went wrong at the start and I'm just really hoping I kan keep the fish alive through the nitrogen cycle.

9/7 -
Unplanned purchase of a fish bowl and 2 goldfish (comet and shubunkin) from a local fish shop. Partial water changes every second day. Start reading about keeping fish. Find out that a fish bowl is really bad for the fish.
16/7 – 22/7
Transferred the two gold fish from the fishbowl to the new 50liter tank and continue to look for information on how to keep goldfish happy. Find out about nitrogen cycle. Doing 15-20% water changes every second day.
23/7 – 26/7
Bought API water testing kit and start daily testing. The ammonia level has been the same 4 days running: 0.25ppm with 0 nitrites and nitrates (Ph 7.6 in the tank and from the tap) and big, milky bacterial bloom. Keep up with partial waterchanges every second day. Find Aquarium Advice forums
27/7 - Day 11
Started daily 50% water changes to get ammonia levels down, the bacterial bloom disappears after a few days. Ph: 7.2, Ammonia 0.00, Nitrite: 0.00, Nitrate:0.00
28/7 - Day 12
Ph: 7.4, Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrites: 0.00, Nitrates: 0.00 50% water change. Been worried about the little comet who hasn’t eaten much or even at all since the move to the bigger tank. Tried peas today and she ate!
29/7 - Day 13
Ph: 7.2, Ammonia: 0.25 (on the light side), Nitrites: 0.00,Nitrates: 0.00, Approx 40% water change.
30/07 - Day 14
Ph 7.2, Ammonia 0.00, Nitrite 0.00, Nitrate 0.00, 0% waterchange
31 July 2011 - Day 15
Ph: 7.4, Ammonia: 0.25, Nitrites: 0.00, Nitrates: 0.00, 40% waterchange
1 Aug 2011 - Day 16
Ph: 7.4, Ammonia: between 0.00 and 0.25, Nitrite: 0.00, Nitrate: 0.00, 0% water change
2 Aug 2011 - Day 17
Ph 7.4, Ammonia - 0.25, Nitrite - 0.00, Nitrate - 0.00, 40-50 % water change. Comet resting on the gravel a lot and fins are not erect.
3 Aug 2011 – Day 18
Tested ammonia levels before going to work between 0.00 and 0.25, changed 20% to be sure. Will test again tonight.
Test parameters this evening: Ph 7.6, Ammonia between 0.00 and 0.25, Nitrite 0.00 Nitrate 0.00 50% water change

Update on our comet

When we got home from work, the Comet was behind the hollow tree trunk and not moving. I started to wonder if she was dead, but after 15 min or so, she appeared. I gave them some cooked peas between the water testing and cleaning the tank and she was after the peas in a flash (droopy fin and all). She was resting on the gravel during feeding, but she's been pretty active all through the water change and up to now. But her fin is still half mast.
I've put today's test results in my fish log book post in this thread (Ph 7.6, Amm between 0.00 and 2.25 no Nitri/ates yet) and I took some photos and I'll see if I can post them.

Does anyone have any idea what else I can do apart from the water changes and gravel vacuum? Since we're only on day 18 I haven't looked at cleaning the filter yet and I realised today that the fish tank glass feels a bit slippery on the inside. Should I clean the glass too?

I was wondering whether I should take Goldie (the comet) out of the tank, but we only have the fish bowl to put her in. I can get a hospital tank over the weekend if necessary.

If anyone has any advice I'd much appreciate it!

Thanks everyone,
Isabella.

What test kit are you using?

If you test less than 24 hours after using a dechlorinator, you will not get accurate results.

I would do 50% daily water changes and soak food in Garlic Guard or Vita-Chem.

I wouldn't move the fish. After all, unless you have a cycled tank waiting, you'd just be moving it from one toxic environment to another.

Do NOT clean your filter. You don't want to jeopardize the beneficial bacteria you've built up so far.

Dear IsabellaG,

LyndaB has given good advice. I think the daily 50% water changes will help out immensely. Plus a declorinator such as Prime only neutralizes and hold harmless the ammonia and nitrate for about 2 days, so if you want to keep halving the ammonia through water changes, daily is a must. Goldfish do like garlic soaked food. Garlic Guard works or you can make a garlic juice by pulverizing garlic in a food processor--just remember to strain it. LyndaB was right on the money regarding cleaning the filter. I once over-cleaned it with the best of intentions and inadvertently put the aquarium into a mini-cycle with terrible harm done to the fish.

What is the gallons per hour on your filter. Goldfish are considered messy and are happier with 10Xsize filtration per hour. My 50 gallon tank has two filters on it one that gives me 300 g/h and a second which gives me 250 g/h/ Likewise my 29 Fancy has an AC 70 in it which gives me about 300...Could you add another filter...
Keep doing the good work you are doing,
Chris

Thanks Lynda and Chris very much appreciate your advice.

Skwewed test results ?!? :facepalm: On a steep learning curve here.

So, that means that when I'm changing the water daily I shouldn't test the water? And then when (keeping fingers crossed) Goldie is looking much better again, I'll skip a day's water change to test the water and get accurate results? I feel like a right dunce asking so many questions! :confused:

I won't clean the filter and leave Goldie in the tank. Keeping fingers crossed all will go well. I'm using the API liquid Freshwater master test kit. The waterconditioner I use is also from API. According to the label, it removes chlorine, neutralizes chloramines and detoxifies heavy metals in tap water.

I'll soak the peas in garlic juice tonight! These fishes are developing gourmet tastebuds!

I'll post an update soon.
Thanks again,
Isabella.

Filter size

Hi,

I just checked the filter. This one came with our 50 liter tank (Aquatopia) and it is the IF-02 model which gives 200-400 liters / hour. I've left it operating on the maximum setting from the start. Is that adequate filtration? i could have a look this weekend for another filter if that is better for the goldfish.

Thanks,
Isabella.

Hi!

The filter at 400 lt/hour is close enough for jazz, especially since right now you are doing frequent water changes. When you do get a larger tank you can tank this filter along and add another. It's always good to have two filters working in case one stops working.

I'm concerned about the API Tap Water Conditioner. I checked it out online and it only declorinates. It would be better for the fish to use Seachem's Prime as it not only declorinates but also neutralizes ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. While it is true that the Master Kit registers the neutralized ammonia, etc. it is a guide to what is in the water. Prime only binds the ammonia, etc for about two days so while the test will show the neutralized ammonia it is important to keep testing and doing water changes. It's the only way to keep the ammonia (or nitrite or nitrate) as close to 0 as possible. Long story short--I'd get some Prime to use. Here's a link to their site so you can compare it to the API Tap Water Conditioner Seachem. Prime

Glad to hear Goldie is feeling better. Fingers crossed,
Chris+

Back
Top Bottom