YIKES! Newbie with Ick and bad information!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Citicricket

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 45 gal set up about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I have 3 platies, 1 molly, 5 neon tetras and now two veiltail tetras that introduced Ick to my tank. On the advice of the local pet store person I bumped up the temp slowly to 82 and did a small (5 gal) water change. I also added 4 tsps of Coppersafe...therein lies the problem! All she had in stock was Saltwater Coppersafe and she said that it is the "same thing" and would be fine in my freshwater tank. One of my two mollies bit the dust this morning. Did I make a real mess of it? Any advice?? 8O

I say do a major water change to get rid of most of that copper safe.
Then if you can get your hands on it, get some sort of Ich med that has Melachite green. Dose them all up according to the directions on the bottle. Remember to remove the caron (if you are running any) from your filter or it will end up removing any medivcation from your tank.
Also, add just a little salt (2 3/4 teaspoon per gallon). Not table salt. It needs to be as pure as possible. You can get some 'Sea Salt' from the grocery store for like $.50. Yes. Keep the heat at the temp you have it. Try this for like 2 or 3 weeks.
Good luck.
I had ick in my tank and did all of this, the fish lived and no more ich. I have most of the fish you mentioned too. :wink:

Agree clean out the tank water and try something like Maracide, I've had good luck with it. Made by the same co that makes copersafe.

btw: the freshwater and saltwater copersafes have different product numbers,
even though they are both cleated copper I suspect they are not the same.

I would also start looking for a different LFS.

Back
Top Bottom