Young molly intermittently swimming in circles and somersaulting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonMoore

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi group,

I'm sorry that my first post (after my introduction) is a call for help...

We have a 30 litre BiOrb and have had it up and running for about 5 months now. We initially had 2 mollies introduced followed by another 2.
We had a lot of problems with nitrite and nitrate levels and lost all 4 fish.
We then noticed babies swimming around and from the 9 that we saw, we have 5 left...

This morning we noticed that the smallest one (about 1cm in length) was swimming quite rapidly in circles and somersaulting. There's no obvious signs of injury or any problems physically on the outside.
I raced to the local aquarium and they advised us that Mollys need a little salt in the water, which they had never told us before.
I got back home to find her a little wobbly but swimming kind of normally.
I have just introduced some of the salt they sold me to the tank now and carrying out a 20% water change as we have had problems with nitrates being a little high.
The last water change was 4 days ago.

Watching her now she still does swim in circles a little, but just seems unsteady. She's trying to eat and doesn't look too distressed.

The aquarium place also said it may be a stroke or bacterial infection.

Does anyone have any advice? She's my favourite too after having rescued her from the inside of the filter when she was tiny...

Thanks

Jon

What kind of salt are you using? Aquarium salt is fine, but marine salt is even better. I used to have problems keeping mollies in fresh water, fungus and shimmies, but since adding salt about three months ago, have had no problems at all. The salt should definitely help the little one.

Hi and thanks so much for the very quick reply.

The aquarium gave us API aquarium salt to use so have added that. We've been using the same aquarium place since we first had the tank and they haven't once mentioned using salt.

Now though, it seems everyone but us knew about it.

We've been instructed to carry out 20% water changes weekly to sort out the nitrate levels. I think I'm correct in saying we should add salt with each water change?

Thanks again

Jon

I know what you mean, I had mollies 30 years ago when I was a kid, and the first I've heard of the salt thing was about a year ago!

The aquarium salt is fine for now, but eventually you'll want to get marine salt because it has all kinds of minerals and stuff in it. A small box of marine salt is about $8, and will last years. You should get a hydrometer too, about $10. Make sure the numbers go down to 1.000, since you'll want to keep mollies around 1.005-1.010.

You do want to add more salt to water changes, but not to top offs from evaporation. The salt does not evaporate with the water, and stays in the tank until you take it out!

Here are a couple of web pages that have been very helpful to me:
The truth about mollies: Among the most popular aquarium fish, they?re also among the most misunderstood
Starting a Brackish Aquarium, what you need and what you can keep.

I hope your fish gets better soon!

So, the young molly seems ok (fingers crossed).

Two things I've found out from this problem:

1) No-one told me that mollys like a little marine salt in the water. I've been going to the same aquarium shop for months setting up the tank etc. and getting fish from them and not once did they mention it to me. So, now there is a little in the tank which seems to be helping.

2) I didn't realise that fish could get constipated, but that's what seems to have happened judging by the amount that came out of the poor little thing and it was a strange orange colour.

She seems happy enough and not lethargic at all or twisting as before.

Here's hoping....

Back
Top Bottom