Zebra Danio with no tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RBesemer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Over the past several weeks I have started to notice that one of my four zebra danios has been losing its tail. It was originally the bully of the tank and would chase the other zebras, but now I'm seeing the tables turn and the other zebras are getting their revenge. I also have two lamp eye tetras and a rubber lip pleco in the tank, but they mind their own business for the most part. Should I separate it or what? I included the best picture I could get, it is a little hard to see.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424917120.031860.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424917120.031860.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 108
You should definitely separate them. That looks like either extreme tail nipping or fin rot. Either way, it's not good to have them together.

Over the past several weeks I have started to notice that one of my four zebra danios has been losing its tail. It was originally the bully of the tank and would chase the other zebras, but now I'm seeing the tables turn and the other zebras are getting their revenge. I also have two lamp eye tetras and a rubber lip pleco in the tank, but they mind their own business for the most part. Should I separate it or what? I included the best picture I could get, it is a little hard to see.

Both lamp eyes and zebra danios are notorious fin nippers if not kept in larger groups. Normally I'd suggest getting more of both to distribute the aggression but your tank is already overstocked. The pleco alone can get 5 inches long. The lamp eyes are schooling fish that get 3 inches long. Zebra's are schoolers too and can get 2 inches.

I would highly suggest you try to sort out your stocking or you are likely to have ongoing water quality / fin nipping issues which is no fun for you or the fish!

Perhaps you can take back/ give away the lamp eyes and get a couple more zebras to distribute the aggression. You'd still be overstocked because of the pleco but it's a start.

Back
Top Bottom