Anemone identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisc0930

Aquarium Advice Activist
An anyone tell me what kind of anemone this is? I think it's a saddle carpet unless I mis-identified it. Also, I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me the par\lux level needed as far as light. I have been told that the marine land reef capable light I have is not sufficient for the anemone and that I could buy a supplemental light which I can suction to my tank and use that in combination with my marine land light. I've had the anemone for a year, maybe a little more. In my eyes it doesn't look sick to me but I would also like it to stay that way.

Attachments

• image-243394273.jpg
    image-243394273.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 159
Any idea as to what par/lux level is needed as far as lighting?

So you have a marineland reef capable light...has the anemone been moving a lot? How large is your tank and what was the additional/other light you were thinking of getting?

Actually, the anemone doesn't move at all. I have a 29 gallon right now, I'll upgrade as the nem gets bigger. I think it's about 17" minus the gravel to the top of my tank. The supplemental light I was thinking of is called the innovative marine skkye 6 watt 14000K utility light. I was gonna suction it to the back and use the gooseneck to wrap to the side of my tank (where the nem is kept) and let it shine directly on my nem along with my marine land light

Seems like it is happy/healthy. IMO if you've had the anemone for a year, it's growing and not moving much I'd say it's fine. Doesn't look like light you want to supplement with is going to do a whole lot and the LEDs are only 1 watt each instead of the 3 watt LEDs used to grow coral...unless you weren't using it for this purpose..I don't think you should put it right on the nem and it might even move...like I said, it's a light for viewing more brilliant corals etc. not growth.

Do you think I should leave it as is? It eats very well and it's as sticky as it was when I bought it. I don't know how long it takes to bleach but it seems good so far

Is the bleaching process drawn out? Or does it happen like over night

I think you should just leave it alone. If the results are looking great, don't change them and potentially upset your anemone. I'm pretty sure if your nem was bleaching you would have already noticed or seen signs long ago..might have hid partly under the rock to get out of the light.

obscurereef said:
I think you should just leave it alone. If the results are looking great, don't change them and potentially upset your anemone. I'm pretty sure if your nem was bleaching you would have already noticed or seen signs long ago..might have hid partly under the rock to get out of the light.

What are some of the symptoms I should look for in regards to bleaching? Anying in specific?

Bleaching is rapid, and is usually related to stress or heat. At high temperatures, zooanthellae become toxic, so when the water gets too hot, photosynthetic inverts expel them to survive. The danger from insufficient light is not bleaching, it's a process of self digestion. I don't recall the technical term, but if an anemone does not receive adequate light to grow, it will reabsorb it's own body to stay alive. This can last for months, I've heard of an anemone surviving and shrinking for almost a year.
So, if the anemone is the same size as when you bought it, it might need a tiny bit more light, but it's fine. If it's smaller, then it's easting itself. If it's bigger, than kick back, open a beer and relax because it's all good!

What are some of the symptoms I should look for in regards to bleaching? Anying in specific?

This is actually pretty simple. If it turns white, or goes pale, it's bleaching. Zooanthellae are brown. Any other colors you see are the animal's own pigments showing over the brown zooanthella infested tissue.
They call it bleaching because it's like bleaching your jeans. They turn white.

MacDracor said:
Bleaching is rapid, and is usually related to stress or heat. At high temperatures, zooanthellae become toxic, so when the water gets too hot, photosynthetic inverts expel them to survive. The danger from insufficient light is not bleaching, it's a process of self digestion. I don't recall the technical term, but if an anemone does not receive adequate light to grow, it will reabsorb it's own body to stay alive. This can last for months, I've heard of an anemone surviving and shrinking for almost a year.
So, if the anemone is the same size as when you bought it, it might need a tiny bit more light, but it's fine. If it's smaller, then it's easting itself. If it's bigger, than kick back, open a beer and relax because it's all good!

Ya it's growing, i looked at it fully bloomed today and it's huge haha

Growing larger, not turning white, still sticky, not moving around all over the place. You have yourself a happy, healthy carpet anemone. Well done!

MacDracor said:
Growing larger, not turning white, still sticky, not moving around all over the place. You have yourself a happy, healthy carpet anemone. Well done!

:D that's what I like to hear haha

That's what I keep hearing but it's doing just fine. I think it's because my anemone is less than 18" below the water level though.

Back
Top Bottom