Best way to ID Pistol/Mantis???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

karlseith

Aquarium Advice Activist
I hear clicking in my 72g FOWLR, usually after the lights go out, but I have not seen any shrimp only a fuzzy crab that hitchhiked on the live rock. What is the best way to determine what is in there? How do I entice what ever is making the noises (presumably a shrimp of some kind, or is it?) out of hiding??

It will be a shrimp of some kind. Best way to ID it is to try to see it...and thats not always easy. I found they dont venture out much when they are small...but once they grow they get a bit braver and you see them more. You can try a fashlight after lights out when you hear the clicking...but thats hit and miss too. If you can narrow the noise down to a specific rock you can pull the rock out and try to flush it out. Good luck

You can try a fashlight after lights out

Get one with a red lense, that might get you better results.

How do I entice what ever is making the noises (presumably a shrimp of some kind, or is it?) out of hiding??

I have read someone was able to put a piece of shrimp in a jar, facing up, and the shrimp got in and couldn't get out. You will have to try to set this up next to the rock. Others have said this hasn't worked.

I think that trick works with crabs, not shrimp which can usually swim out of the jar.

I have similar noises in my tank; I did get a quick peek at a shrimp before he disappeared into the rock, it looked like a pistol to me, but there could be more than one too. I've read that if the clicks are in ones and twos then it's probably a pistol, if there are many clicks in succession it's probably a mantis. THe pistol shrimp actually makes the noises itself, while the clicks from a mantis come from the mantis hitting something (shells, rocks etc). My clicks are in ones and twos and are very consistent in tone which makes me think it's a pistol. Hope this helps!

I think that trick works with crabs

Now that you said that, I believe you are right!

I've read that if the clicks are in ones and twos then it's probably a pistol

Hmmm, that is interesting. I heard clicking the other night. It was about 4 or 5 real quick ones, but I think it was one of my snail's shells. I haven't heard it since.

I think that, as Newfound said, Pistols make the noise by themselves...whereas a mantis makes the noise by hitting something...when it is trying to eat it. So if you hear a fast flurry of clicks then nothing for a while it would be safe to assume you have a mantis. Thats how it was for me..then I got a visual,took a pic and posted it here. Everyone agreed I had a really nice mantis ( if you're into that sort of thing :) ) and even offered to take it. I also noticed a very rapid decline in numbers of snails etc. Here one day, gone the next.

The clicks come in ones and twos randomly. I tried using a flashlight last night but only scared the pants off my fish, Im working on getting a red lensed light. After reading your posts and this website http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dy...http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/pest/tell.htm Im pretty sure it's not a mantis. If I were to add a watchman goby, and the noise maker was a pistol shrimp, what are my odds of them pairing up?

Back
Top Bottom