Black Sponge - Black Algae - Coraline Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadial

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is cycling right now. I recently set it up. I have some things growing on some rubble rock and live rock that I am having a problem ID'ing.

I have 2 oval shaped sponge looking things. One is brown (top left) and the other is black (lower right). Both have what looks like a white slash across the body of it. The black one seems textured - maybe honeycombed. Any ideas? Also, I have what looks like black algae on the rock to the top right of this picture. Is this die-off of something or a black algae? Is this bad? There is also something brown jutting out of a hole in the live rock but whatever it was, I'm pretty sure it is dead. It's to the right of the black sponge type of thing on the next rock.

img_1174686_0_205c8454d02a2c25f37ddf6636da13b8.jpg

And this may be a stupid question, but is this coraline algae growing over a dead coral or is it something else? I found this in a rubble rock tank and it caught my eye.

img_1174686_1_c266442f0ce68a8871bd07e2dd9a271b.jpg

Here is a second shot of that black algae looking growth. I guess my primary concern is that it will explode all over the place. If it is just die-off, I guess that is part of the cycling.

img_1174686_2_73de2ed913b3c0142d0e82db7d39b1db.jpg

Thanks

the black "algae" looks like die off of coraline, i had it on some of my LR when i set it up, my clean up crew took care of it, or it just dispearsed, not 100% sure which happened to it, but no the less it gone now.
The pink looks liek coraline and should not be a problem
Scott

Back
Top Bottom