Bobbit worm/eucinid worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found a giant worm in my aquarium last night, it is at least 3 feet long, the photo only shows about 6 inches of it at the head. My tank has been set up for about 2 years so must have been in the rock the whole time. The 3-6 months all my soft corals have been disappearing overnight, no fish have been eaten yet, but from what I have read the are vicious predators. Any tricks/tips on how to remove it, would hate to have to break down the whole tank, but I may not have a choice, I don't know how else to get it out.

Attachments

• image-2610170173.jpg
    image-2610170173.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 260
A friend of mine saltwater tanks was pretty much wipe out by that worm. He didnt know what was happening until one night he saw the worm. There is a video of the bobbit worm taking care of a lionfish

That's not good... I would try to setup a extra tank and put all fish and corals I could and the track down and kill that sucker

set up a bottle trap....it may take a few nights but you'll catch it...

So I watched for another night to confirm where its home was, and this morning took the leap and dismantled the tank to get the rock out. I have spotted it in the rock so I know it is out of the aquarium! So now I just need to get it out of the huge piece of liverock it is in. I have the rock suspended over salt water hoping it will leave voluntarily.... Will post a picture when I get it out, it is one ugly looking creature!

Better hope it comes out into the water you have it over and not onto your floor! I'm not scared of worms but that thing would have me running for the hills! Can't wait til you post pics!

Put the rock in fresh water. It will emerge with a quickness.
I doubt very highly that one of these worms could take down a lionfish. They are generally an eater of soft corals.

Got em!!! A squirt of baking soda and water annoyed it enough for it to emerge from the rock and then gently grabbed it with a pair of tongs. About 3/4 of an inch in diameter and 2 1/2 feet long when elongated.... Disgusting. Now have to decide what to do with it, maybe the LFS will take it???

Attachments

• image-1570219617.jpg
    image-1570219617.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 151
  • image-894101361.jpg
    image-894101361.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 148
I don't think a LFS is going to take that..but then again, I saw a crown of thorns starfish for sale at a local LFS, so who knows.

This wasn't in a aquarium

It was a night dive and I was filming the bobbit worm. The lionfish was trying to hunt in the lights of the camera, as often small critters are attracted to the bright lights. In this case, it wasn't the smartest strategy because the hunter became the prey. At first I thought the lionfish was just a nuisance, but a few seconds later I realised how lucky I was to film the lightning-fast and incredibly powerful strike of the bobbit worm. Keep in mind the bobbit worm, about the thickness of two fingers, was by far the smaller critter, whereas the lionfish was about 15cm (6 inches) long. Filmed at night in Lembeh Strait.

Oh, I thought it was. I would kill that sucker. Its nothing but trouble from the looks of it

Back
Top Bottom