Butterfly ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was pretty much given what was being called a Burgess Butterfly fish this past weekend. The guy said he couldn't get it to eat. I asked what he was feeding and he said he had tried three different kinds of flake food.

I didn't laugh out loud and was pretty sure I could rectify that situation. I knew/know virtually zilch about butterflies other than they are not reef safe but since at the moment I am pretty much FOWLR I decided to give it a try and acclimated him to my 75g tank.

The next day I fed frozen Mysis to the other fish. Butterfly took a second to watch the other fish attacking it and decided it was a good idea to grab some himself. Feeding problem solved.

Problem is this butterfly looks nothing like a burgess I see on different web sights. Do burgges have a juvenile color pattern that may be throwing me off. Digi camera is on the fritz so no way to post a pick right now. He most closely resembles a thread fin but not exactly.

I know I am living a bit dangerously putting something I have no idea what it is in my tank but hes really a nice fish so far and seemingly quite hardy for a butterfly. He has taken virtually no notice of my inverts a CBS brittle star and hermits. I am pretty sure corals wouldn't last long around him however as he is constantly examining the LR for a possible meal. The only bump in the road so far was that my yellow tang was not exactly thrilled to see this guy but that problem has seemed to go away within a 24 hour period also.

I will see if I can get my hands on a camera this afternoon and add a pic to the thread.

Picutres will help, but to help more, i'll move this to our SW ID section for proper exposure. :D

Back
Top Bottom