Can someone tell me what this crab is?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay so I just found this crab in my tank today :blink: and I have no clue what it is or where it came from :ermm: Im guessing it more likey came with my live rocks . funny thing is I had my tank up and running for 7months now and just today saw this little bugger :huh: so can anyone tell me what he/she is?:confused: I tried looking on online fish buying sites and goggle to try and find what it can be but yeah that didnt help lol

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 278
The crab appears to be either in the Xanthidae or Pilumnidae Family. Most would remove the crab. Better photos will be needed i think, if you are going to get an id.

Thanks for all the input everyone... Now if only I can find that little one again I would try to take better photos of it, as well as try to get it out the tank.

Black tips on the claws and hair all over body... Not an emerald. Get rid of his [moderator edit] if its a reef. It'll be a risk to your corals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most definitely not an emerald crab. Look at those claws. They are made for ripping flesh. I would remove it the next time you see it.

Looks like a decorator crab but I'm a novice so just my guess!

I would put him in the sump. I'm not an advocate for killing things that didn't ask to be taken from the ocean. A xanthid crab is what I'm thinking.

Oh yeah, don't kill it! Thats just mean. :) See if LFS will take it, or do like mr x said and put in sump if you have one.

If its inside a rock, you could just put the rock in a bucket of SW and wait for him to come out. He's gotta eat at some point, right?

Lol yeah that was at the lfs and she was very young lol
i thought i lost that one and went back for number 2 and this knewas caught immediately whew now i have found both in my tank hmmmm

Victory! Busted trying to sneak around the net! I left a net in the tank since around 4am this morning, with a little mysis shrimp in it. I saw him sneaking around the back side of the net. I just turned the net around and pushed him in with fear or tongs! Muhaha! Jesse 1. Crab 0!

As for ID Im leaning toward Gorilla Crab, via youtube video. Ill Upload a Few pics later, Hes residing in my food mixing dish atm. :D

Back
Top Bottom