Caught the Killer ! What the hell is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Re-did my WHOLE tank... All 90 pounds of rock were removed and 75% of it RO dipped and this came out of THE last rock !
What is he?
killer1.jpg

killer2.jpg

Looks like a small golden coral banded shrimp, I'm probably wrong, but that is the first thing that come to mind.

Are you sure that killed something? looks like a normal shrimp with claws. If its still alive trow it into a Species tank like people do with mantis shrimp. He looks pretty cool.

wahoo_drew said:
Are you sure that killed something? looks like a normal shrimp with claws. If its still alive trow it into a Species tank like people do with mantis shrimp. He looks pretty cool.

Sorry to say, he's not with us anymore...

Sorry to say, he's not with us anymore...
Not sure I would have been so quick with the death sentence. Looks like a cool shrimp. IMO most shrimp are harmless, beneficial additions to a reef. Esp. rare ones like this.
Mantis shrimp are an exception and aren't really shrimp anyway.
Maybe a QT tank would be a good place to put questionable creatures pending thier dispostion. Might be able to make some $$ from fellow members looking for odd creatures. I think I would have paid money for that guy.

edited for syntax

Mantis shrimp are an exception and aren't really shrimp anyway.

I'm intrigued by this statement, I've never heard it before, any links for this? If they aren't shrimp...what are they?

Undeserved death sentence

I think it was very unlikely that this fellow was responsible for any deaths. It does look like a harmless shrimp, similar to a coral banded.

I also don't think that the R/O dip was a good idea. You likely harmed a lot of life on your LR.

Re: Undeserved death sentence

Brad said:
I think it was very unlikely that this fellow was responsible for any deaths. It does look like a harmless shrimp, similar to a coral banded.

I also don't think that the R/O dip was a good idea. You likely harmed a lot of life on your LR.

Well it's been 3 days and 0 deaths, and 10 more crabs that died... on purpose. I had 2 starfish bail out during the RO rince and dropped em back in the tank and all were ok still... no new die off as far as i can see...
What else should I look for?

When you say RO dip, do you dip in saltwater or just plain RO water (w/no salt)? I've heard of people dipping lr in super salty water to get the critters to come out...

luckycat said:
When you say RO dip, do you dip in saltwater or just plain RO water (w/no salt)? I've heard of people dipping lr in super salty water to get the critters to come out...

The first initial dip before it went into my tank was a RO super salt dip...
As for this last dip/rinse it was straight RO water from my tap ! It's been a week and ahalf now I think and still nothing wrong, I guess I lucked out...
One last mantis to catch I think or a errant pistol shrimp thats still in the tank. Can't see either, just hear clicking... All my fish are still here so we'll see...

Back
Top Bottom