Chaetomorpha Aerea Algae Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ralphiedoodle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am 99% sure I have identified the algae in my tank as Chaetomorpha Aerea. It is a little green tuft of brittle grass that grows from a bunch. What is the best way to correctly manage this algae? I am not opposed to it being in the tank but it seems to be growing quickly. My LFS suggested that I have high phosphate and probably nitrite so I need to possibly feed less and or change the water more frequently. These will be my first steps but should I be treating/adding fish or anything else? I tried scraping the stuff off and even pulling it by hand but it is very resilient. Any advice would be appreciated. I am adding a pacific blue tang when it gets done in the qauritine tank which is a herbavore. Thanks again, ralphiedoodle

Are you sure your LFS said nitrItes? Macro algae thrives off of excess nutrients, being phosphates and nitrAtes.
How often/much/what are you feeding?
How long do you run your lights?
What all do you have in the tank?
What size tank?
Can you get a pic?

You are correct on NitrAtes, my bad! I typically run the lights around 12 hours a day. I have a 55 gallon with a marineland t-5 High output compact.

The tank consists of:

fish - 1 percula, 3 green Chromis, 1 Coral Beauty Angel, 1 Snowflake eel (morey family i believe), 2 peppermint shrimp, a black sea urchin and a cleanup crew. The coral beauty is the only large fish it is probably 3 inches.

Live rock - 65-75lbs.

Coral - 1 favia brain and 1 toadstool ( i am not sure if that is actually what it is but that is what all the lfs's around here call them)

Anemones - 1 carpet ( hosting the percula) 1 hatian long tipped anemone 1 rock covered in pollups, several different colors and I think it clasifies as a worm but I have a feather duster.

I have approximentaly a 2 inch sand bed.

this is a picture of the grass. There is a probably 50 tufts in the tank.
LRI2-0203TL.jpg

What does it feel like Chaeto is firm and waxy like almost like Plastic grass. Or there is Hair algae which is kinda similar just more soft and mushy like. It looks like Chaeto kinda but hard for me to tell. My Chaeto kinda grows in a ball in lots of directions and not straight up like regular planted grass. In my overflow box I have some hair algae patches that grow more like regular grass similar to the picture you posted. Its wierd the overflow box is the only spot in my tank I have hair algae. They both feed on high nutrients which is good but the hair algae once out of control is ugly and usually a sign there is too much nitrates or phospates. How new is the tank?

Here is a pic of my Chaeto http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/chaeto-doing-its-job-101517.html

There are at least 9 different kinds of cheato. The C. Aerea does attach itself to a rock or other structure. If it is C. Aerea the "foot" or Root will be kind of disk shaped. It's difficult to tell from the pic but it could be.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all your input. It is definetely plasticky? (if that is a word) But definetely plastic feeling. OK, so when do I worry about it? The tank is 6 months old.

Back
Top Bottom