Coral growing on my LR out of the blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think some coral has started to grow on my LR, even without good lighting.

When I got the peice of rock, I though this spot what a little area of purple coraline algae.....it was the same color, and size as the other coraline algae on the rock.....Well, three months after getting the peice of rock, the purple coraline all the sudden one day stuck out from the rock more, and then sprouted little polyps and opend up!

They are bright purple, and kinda look like little anemones. There are six all connected together.....Is this a type of Coral!!!!?!?!?!?
P5230385.jpg

While im here, I also got a couple worms on my rock, this red and black one lives in one rock, and moves around a lot.
P5210383.jpg

And these long wormy things are groing too, it looks like they have 2 worms coming out of each hole...
P5230389.jpg

I am having trouble seeing them on the 1st pic, looks like you may have some green bulbs growing there. 2nd pic looks like a bristleworm, I have quite a few of them, they are good for eating stuff on the substrate. 3rd pic, i'm not sure, maybe a spaghetti (sp?) worm, which I think is harmless. Somme one else should be able to give you the correct names.

I agree, it's really hard to see what you are referring to in the first pic but it could be some type of star polyp. I'd agree with roka64 on the other two.

I think that green bubble (algae?) might cause problems. Fluff will probably know.

As for the other, I'll let the more knowledgable ID it, because I have no clue....

The green bubble algae (valonia) can be controlled by lowering your phosphats. The coral still looks like star polyps or maybe even pipe organ. Time will tell as it grows. They don't need a ton of light. What type of lighting do you have?

reefrunner69 said:
my money would be on an encrusting gorgonian.

Ahh, you may be right reefrunner. :D
I'd never gave that a thought, having only ever seen one once. Beautiful coral but can be invasive.

Keep us updated on it's growth. :)

That algae is only on that rock, in a very few small places. I have been trying to pop them with my finger, to get rid of the ones on the rock.

Dont Emerald Crabs eat that stuff?!

I will keep everyone posted on its growth.....anything I can do to encourage it to grow faster?

Ray is right. Popping them releases spores which actually spreads the algae. They say emerald crabs will eat it but a better way to manage it is to reduce phosphates.

As for the gorg, keep your water parameters good. With lights, water changes and maybe an offering of some blender mush, cyclops, rotifers, baby brine, DT's, oyster egg or some other quality coral food once or twice a week may help. When/if feeding, feed sparingly.

UPDATE!

Thanks for the attempts to identify the coral, it is hard when it is that small, but I conclusively know what it is!

They are baby green star polyps!

Look familiar?.....I was looking at frags at the LFS and saw it gowing on a rock.....mine just hasnt gotten the green tips!
greenstarpolyps.jpg

Are there any additives I can use to promote faster growth? I use kent nano reef part a & b....wich add strontium, cal, and the other stuff like that. I also feed twice a week with coralife invert food.

Yep, that looks similar to what you have, I wonder why you think the LFS is right and we are wrong? Try doing a google search on Encrusting gorgonians and have a look on wet web media, you might find it elucidating ;) Simple fact is, most of the "Green star polyps" you see in the LFS are actually misidentified gorgs.

Try to get your water supplements in order with regular water changes IMO. I've never been a fan of dosing unless you're doing hard corals or you know of some deficiencies.

The LFS didnt identify it by my discription, I looked in the same tank I bought the rock from, saw more of it growing, and asked them what it was. He then showed me a big bunch of it in one of the display tanks.

Mine are just starting to turn green...so im sure they are the same thing as the pic, whether it is gorgs or what ever, its cool!!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom