Coral ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bound_for_obx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone give me an ID on this coral? It came in on some live rock from Liverocks.com The tank it is in has just been set up. What can I do to help it survive? Can I feed it "blender mush" or do I need to get something more specific? The tank doesn't seem to have cycled yet.

is it a bark brown in color. and slimy to the touch? if it is that is the same stuff i have. mine came on a rock that a coral was on from the lfs. it has not grown any since it has been in my tank. it just says there. and i was trying toi get an id to it too.

The tank has just been set up and I'm a little leary about having the lights on for more than a few hours a day. I hope they make it!

Can I feed it "blender mush" or do I need to get something more specific?
Beware of getting into the habit of trying to maintain corals by 'feeding' them. 99% of corals' "food" is light. With some LPS, they may tend to be more meat-eating, but in general, their primary food should still be light, and any 'meaty' food should only be what they catch when you feed the tank. Feeding corals directly can quickly degrade water quality.

That said, (I'm going to contradict myself now ;-) ) to the best of my knowledge, Cladocora are pretty hardy, and don't need a ton of light. If I remember right, not even all Cladocora are photosynthetic -- only ones found on the shallow reef slopes. I would try a very light wash of blender mush or brine maybe twice a week. Just beware of overfeeding.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom