coraline algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this pink colored algae on my rock coraline algae? My tank is only in the 1st week of cycling and I got this rock from a LFS that had it in an established tank. I didnt see any pinkish algae on this rock when I bought it but it seems to have a little now. If this isnt coraline algae is it a good thing to have in my tank?

Attachments

• PIC-0333.jpg
    PIC-0333.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 65
  • PIC-0334.jpg
    PIC-0334.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 59
  • PIC-0335.jpg
    PIC-0335.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 50
Rub or use a turkey baster and if it don't come off easily it's more then likely coralline.

cool I bought this from a LFS established tank that had no sign of coraline algae for 4.99 a pound. Dont most places sell rock with Coraline algae on them for $10+ a pound? Ill have to go back and get some more :p

also this rock had no color to it when I bought it and it is sitting in my cycling tank, is this normal to be growing this type of algae before the tank is even cycled?

Usually in most cases if you get some with coralline already on it the coralline will turn white when it`s put in your tank and then it will color up later on. As long as you have some in the tank you`ll be OK.

Yeah there are some white spots on that rock too, I bet it will get some color to it soon then also. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom