Green and red on one of my rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marco V

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came home today and saw this rock is now multi colored . My tank is still going thru the cycle but moved it from my display to my sump just in case. Should I be worried ?

Attachments

• image-1573981413.jpg
    image-1573981413.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 107
The green and the purple are def coralline algea. The more red could be a little Cyanobacteria. If It brushes off, it's Cyano. If it doesn't it's coralline.

How long has your tank been cycling... These organisms come and go during the cycle process... It is all to let you know that the tank is settling in. You should also start seen diatoms... This too will run it's course. Don't worry about it... Just monitor the tank and do regular water tests to make sure that your parameters are fine.

^yep.

Looks like a bit of cyano on the left side, purple/pink coralline on the right. Possible diatoms on sand bed. All part of a new tank. Keep your levels perfect siphon out what you can during water changes. If you do this and maintain perfect conditions it will go away with a bit of time. All part of what we call the uglies.

It's been 2 weeks since I added the sand and the damsels . I tested yesterday just because I was bored and this is what I got
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Trite .25
Trate 20ppm

Was it live sand? It looks like by doing so you may have created another cycle. Ammonia is high, damsels might not make it much longer. I advise doing a 50% water change asap if you wanna help save your fish.

Well as "live" as can be coming out the bag.the more I read I now know that using fish to cycle your tank is wrong but I didn't do the research and someone told me this is the way to cycle your tank. Ive tried getting the little suckers out but the last 4 are super smart and lighting fast!

Back
Top Bottom