green grass-like coral ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicksgirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
The knowledgable guy at the LFS wasn't there when I bought this so I am not sure what it is. Does anyone know?

I'd like to know what that is too...it looks like macro algae of some kind rather then a coral...unless it is a strange anemone or plate coral.....Do you have any other pics of it???

I'll take more pictures when the lights come on - It would make sense if it is called snake polyp because the mature ones I have seen will have one of two pieces (polyps, I guess) that are taller than the rest and these grow up above the others and then hook back down into the shape of a candy cane or old fashioned walking cane.... It gives the appearance of a snake lifting up to strike - something like a cobra.

On the other hand - the ones I have seen aare also speead all over the tank - more like an algae than a coral.

It's pretty flexible at the base but maybe not so much in the stalk. The individual green pieces stay straight but wave in the current and bend over easily (at the base) under the touch of crabs or fishes.

UPDATE:
Here's another couple of pictures... The darkening at the tips of each piece is new since moving to my tank... And the dusty light stuff is (I'm pretty sure) debris left over from when I dosed the tank with pH buffer a day or so ago.. (( sorry I can't get any closer ))

Attachments

• img_1822_204.jpg
    img_1822_204.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 238
  • img_1823_315.jpg
    img_1823_315.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 356
  • img_1824_105.jpg
    img_1824_105.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,024
Back
Top Bottom