Help with Id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newsalty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This just showed up and is moving around on the live rock.It is white with coral looking appendages on top. Does anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 122
Definitely looks like some type of nudibranch, possibly the zoa eating kind. I would try and get rid of it. Look up zoa eating nudibranch, it definitely looks like that one.

Don't get rid if it. Put it in your sump if you have one. Or take it out and give it to someone with a sump. No sense killing it especially if you don't know it's harmful.

Don't get rid if it. Put it in your sump if you have one. Or take it out and give it to someone with a sump. No sense killing it especially if you don't know it's harmful.

My only issue with sticking it in the sump/not killing it is that if it is a zoa eater, it will lay eggs and then you will have a very bad issue on your hands. It does look a little big to be a zoa eating one, check under your zoos for tiny eggs. It probably won't live long if it isn't a zoa eater. Most have very specific diets that can't be met in the home aquaria.

Here's a similar looking one that someone found eating their leather coral.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/nudicompfaqs.htm

Last edited:
These are so many zoa and polyp eating nidibranch it is almost impossible to get an id at times. The key to figuring it out is that they will look like what they eat. That guy reminds me of Xenia.

In terms of the comment to dump it in the sump, I wouldn't. I tried it with one that was eating my blue sympodium and a week later found it crawling back into the tank from the overflow box. That guy is a candidate for the toilet IMO.

It crawled up the filter sock, up the drain pipe, over the overflow teeth, in the air, to the DT? Don't you think it's more likely you had more than one?

I would put it in the sump too. Zoas are garbage anyway. I'd much rather have the nudibranch than the zoas. That said, it does not appear to be a zoa eating nudi, and I only know of one.

The eggs of a nudibranch will not blow around the water column and end up in the dt from sump. They attach them to something. If in fact it is a coral eater, they will all die off down there.
I would sump it.

Also, it appears to be traveling in the opposite direction of the healthy zoas in the pic. Not indicative of a coral eater. Plus, they generally gain the color of what they eat (the zoa eaters), so in this case, I would think that creature would have some green in it.

Here is a typical zoa eater...notice how it took the color of the eagle eyes-
img_2675711_0_3cc0b4789b1a4081221422b1c0cc3d1b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom