Hermit crab ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I caught this little guy at Ocean City. Why type of hermit crab is this? Right now it's about the size of a dime.

In the shops, I saw land hermit crabs the size of my palm and I'm wondering if those are the same species as the one in my picture? I caught mine in the water so maybe not...?

Also, I've read some articles online that states "all species" of hermit crabs require access to air, fresh water, and salt water. Not sure if they forgot to mention if it only pertains to land hermit crabs. But in this case, is this an aquaria or land hermit crab? Will it be okay to keep it in a tank without freshwater or land?

One other thing, I know that hermit crabs eat meat, but I've had no success in feeding it fruit or vegetables. I'd like to give a kinda balanced meal. Maybe this species of hermit crab only eat meat?

Anyway, I guess my questions all depend on what type of hermit crab this is, heh heh.

Thanks!

Attachments

• dscn0529.jpg
    dscn0529.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 58
It's hard to say.... maybe a Pagurus longicarpus or long-clawed hermit. If it is, I believe it will do fine in a fully aquatic setup but... being from the mid atlantic, putting it in a more tropical type enviroment like our fish tanks will likely shorten it's life. You could try feeding it a pellet type diet to see if it will eat that. That should give it the variety it needs (all packed together) without degrading your water as much. Just a thought.

Not all types of hermit crabs require air access
some hermit crabs live in the deep ocean with no access to air at all
the hermit crabs I have, don't need any access to air
its all depends on the species (land hermit crabs or marine hermit crabs)

Back
Top Bottom