Hitchhiker/ new appearance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlsardina

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I know it's not the best pics, but can u help with this coral (or pest) identification?

View attachment 53147

Also, my husband went for a dive in the reef off the keys and picked this up (sigh). I know it's a goby but not sure of the type. My LFS said it was a Baldein goby (some newly identified spices).

View attachment 53148

looks like zoas in the first pic.
don't know about the fish. i would be concerned that the unknown fish i caught was poisonous, a predator, or perhaps even endangered.

I can't find where it was posted here or another forum where someone got what they thought was harmless blenny off the coast of Florida that was a predator. Needless to say it didn't end well.

This website will help: Florida Gobioidei. Check out the key to Western Atlantic species to sort out which species of Bathygobius you have. You should be able to get a reasonable count of scales along the sides of the body to sort out whether it might be B. soporator. Distinguishing the other two species using pectoral-ray counts is a little tricky in this genus as the upper rays are divided and frill-like (which is where the common name "frill-fin gobies" comes from). Good luck with it.

I have kept various Indo-Pacific Bathygobius in the past, and would guess that Atlantic ones are similar to keep. They are okay, though will predate on anything they can fit in their mouths - though this holds for many other gobies too.

Tony

Thanks! Now I can tell my LFS what it is. I took him there after he ate both my peppermint shrimp in two days. The LFS is holding him now waiting on me to tell them what to do.

Jlsardina said:
Thanks! Now I can tell my LFS what it is. I took him there after he ate both my peppermint shrimp in two days. The LFS is holding him now waiting on me to tell them what to do.

Oh, sorry u lost ur peppermint shrimp

How about taking him back were he came from ;)

Jlsardina said:
Plan on it- but have to wait til the weekend cause I'm 4 hours from the keys :(

Then u r still closer than me (Orlando). Gla ur taking him back, that's the best decision ;)

Back
Top Bottom