ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhouck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got this on a mushroom rock today. Didn't notice it until the shroom retracted. It's about 1 inch and it opens in the miidle of the pointed end.
When open, it raises slightly from the rock.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 88
Wow, that's a new one. So it only opens at the very front, where the lines come together?
Can you get a better pic?
Does it move slow?

Yes, it opens where the lines come together. It moves like a clam: slowly opening then snapping shut when startled. I can't see a definitive hinge, though. The mushroom has since covered it, at least for today. Working on a better pic.

These are the best I could do. In the closer one, you can see that it is open slightly. That's about the extent that I 've seen it open.

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 71
It looks like a clam that has attached its self to a horse shoe crab. I am really stumped at this point. Does the back end have a tail? Can you pick it up and take a pic of it;s underside?

No, there isn't a tail and no horseshoe crab.

I found this pic online. It's called a heart cockle. It looks similar, but from other pics it seems cockles (though not specifically the heart cockle) are shaped like a regular bivalve clam. So that would mean that the creature in my tank is buried lip-down in the rock. And what I'm looking at is the hinge. Don't know if all cockles are shaped this way

Attachments

• 17heartcockle[1] (2).jpg
    17heartcockle[1] (2).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom