ID please pest or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ndmartin0120

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have these all over rocks and powerheads don't know what they are. They are small white cylinder looking things that are fuzzy and have almost what looks like a feather duster head in them pic is hard to see.

ForumRunner_20120419_185532.jpg

ForumRunner_20120419_185551.jpg

ForumRunner_20120419_185608.jpg

spirorbid worms! Can get kinda ugly, but mostly harmless. They'll usually bloom then mostly die off in a month or so.

I googled those worms and that isn't what these are they aren't coiled looking these come straight off the rocks and look cylindrical with like fuzzy hairs and a fan head

ahh sorry i was looking at the smaller things, those bigger things look like pineapple sponges, similar story, should come and go in a few months. The pics are fuzzy though, can ya get a better one?

I've tried but they are small and the more I zoom the blurrier the pic. They do have a shape like a pineapple so makes sense. I bet there are 30 of them. Will they take over and what causes them to die off. My tank is 4 months old.

4 months seems to be about right for pineapple sponges, normally they seem to die off after a few months, but ya can always remove them if ya want. They're not really negative, just can get kinda ugly.

Ok thanks for the info...they don't really bother me just curious and making sure I don't need to remove them. I was worried if I let them go they would take over tank i'll just see how they do. Thanks again.....

Back
Top Bottom