ISO: White goby with black spots (leopard goby?)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw this fish at an LFS in Chinatown. It's opaque white with black spots. The owner said it was a leopard goby but when I search Google I'm coming up with goby that do not look like the one we saw. I'm planning on starting SW tank in 2004 and I'm going to plan the tank beginning with that fish. I'm smitten with him. He was so outgoing and active, like a little dog. If anybody has another name for the fish I'm speaking of.. or the scientific name that would help me find info on him I'd very much appreciate it!

Any other distinguishing colors or marks? By the sounds of it, the goby is probabley a type of watchman/prawn goby....

Cheers
Steve

Oh my gosh, you know what... He's not a goby. I think I found himhim.
pw72186panther_grouper.jpg

Doh. I have to check with my BF to be sure. Wow, it looks like he's going to get a LOT bigger than the 2" we saw him at :wink:

goodness thats most certainly not a goby LOL and i wouldnt suggest having any gobies in the tank with him either ;)

Yeah, I saw him probably 6 weeks ago. He was very small and seemed cute. And I guess my memory made him even cuter... Now I'm really rethinking this cause he's going to get huge and, quite frankly, scare the crap out of me, lol.

LOL... a panther grouper eh..

If this is to be your first fish, you will also be planning either an FO or FOWLR set up. These guys are no where near reef safe and will even eat smaller fish. Much akin to any other predator fish. If it fits in it's mouth, it's lunch. :wink:

Also keep in mind these are very large growing fish and should be housed in a large system, preferabley 150+....

Cheers
Steve

I'm going to start with FO just because I'm 100% new to SW and don't want to get in over my head. I want to start learning about the fish and then eventually gain enough knowledge to begin a successful reef.

If any of you have any good links or suggestions on books that'd be super :) I don't want a scary fish like a grouper, lol *Shiver*

Back
Top Bottom